picture quality with freeview

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by buzzvinny, Oct 23, 2005.

1. buzzvinny

buzzvinny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got the 32" LG LCD but not to happy with the picture quality through freeview. I have a daewoo about 3yrs old, my question is if i get a new freeview box will this make the picture quality better and if so which box should i get.

2. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    If you have just replaced a CRT with the LCD then just be aware that most LCD's & Plasmas struggle with off air broadcasts.

First off Check digibox is set to output RGB and you have plugged a decent quality scart lead into the RGB socket. A decent pro aerial install is important and the age of the cable running from it( if you get a lot of picture break up and blocking this is the likely cause.) go into the setup menu on your box and check signal strength. Also best to go straight from aerial to digi box and avoid the use of splitters. Not all freeview boxes are the same, as to what is best is subjective but I would stick to Philips, sony or wait for the folks on here to post specific recommendations then try and get one home first to see if the improvements are moving PQ in the right direction.

My final tip would be to make sure you have the picture settings on your LG set properly. As I dont have your set ( confession time I've got a Panny plasma) All I would say is avoid setting the sharpness control to high as this will increase picture noise. Avoid any setting that says Dynamic!

There is a possibility that your screen will take a some time to run in and that it will improve over the next month or so but again a fellow LG owner is best to advise on this. Post on the LCD forum for advice and also use the search facility at the top of the page.

3. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

It is worth knowing that Freeview quality is generally poor, it is very compressed, notice how on the ads for Freeview they never mention improved picture quality, only the availablity of more [rubbish] channels. If you find static images look great, but as soon as a camera pans or you get a complicated seen it goes all blocking and loses detail, this is Freeview and not the TV.

LCD/Plasmas are not so forgiving as a CRT, they show up a poor quality feed as well as they show off a good quality one.

Regards

Phil

4. buzzvinny

buzzvinny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replys, it sounds to me that i could be waisting my time getting a new box. One other thing speaking to someone from currys(and yes he did seem to know what he was talking about) he told me to try putting my scart from box to tv and not to my dvd recorder does this sound good advice or what! i tried this but then i had trouble recrding freeview although picture was better.
    Only one scart in box.
    So basically my set up is scart from box to tv(av2), arial to box, RF cable from box to recorder then RF from recorder to tv, and scart form recorder to tv (av1).

5. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i'm the odd one out :D

although i don't have a seperate freeview box i've got the say the picture i get through my viera plasma is excellent on MOST channels

eg have a look at 'home and away' which i gather is filmed in high def (i'm not recommending this programme for general viewing :eek: )

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Putting aside the PQ of DTT considering the compression used, the performance of local muxes/transmitters and your own aerial/receiver there is huge performace range in the LCD market and the Plasma market.

More expensive makes and models tend to be at the higher end when it comes to the final results from any given source.

7. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

Compression artefacts are very subjective, some people don't really notice them, others do. You can compare it with iPods and MP3 players, highly compressed music that to me is painful to listen to and obviously compressed, but hasn't stopped Apple making millions in sales. Everyones perception of quality is different, however objectively we know the Freeview datarate for each channel is low enough to cause plenty of artefacts, around 2-3Mbits a second depending on the channel and this is constant bit rate (unlike most commercial DVDs) that further reduces the quality.

Regards

Phil

8. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well i don't know about data rates

but i am very choosy about pq and i may just be lucky with my panny and the aerial i bought

but what i see at most times is first class - only surpassed by dvd

i'm in the process of getting sky + installed and only hope this will provide equivalent pq otherwise i'll be forking out for a lumagen :D

9. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to say that I agree totally with your comments samjet. When I bought a relysis 32" LCD, it was, I have to confess, so I could see what my HTPC was up to as I got fed up trying to match a CRT TV to it. The last thing i was going to do was connect up anything via a scart socket so I bought an iplayer with component out.

I do find that an LCD TV will expose a poor quality TV production but equally, you get a modern day BBC drama production (which I think is about as good as it gets personally) and the detail and richness of the picture is outstanding. I can't say I notice too much in the way of artifacts but it is, as others have said, subjective. Which just goes to show that specs on paper don't always tell the full story IMHO. When I watch a CRT TV now, it feels as if I've been poked in both eye's with a blunt stick.

That said, football is a blur generally. Luckily for me, since my team got relegated last season, that's not a problem anymore:(

The best comment I can leave is that when CRT owners come round and see the picture on my TV, they always comment on it favorably. Of course, that could be because they get a beer if they say nice things about my TV:)

Jon.