1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Quality when connecting Sky to Plasma TV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gary7, Jun 30, 2005.

1. gary7

gary7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just brought a Sony Wega KEP37M1 Plasma TV and I’m having trouble with my picture coming from my Sky box.

My picture on the TV through Sky looks washed out, you can notice it especially when you watch a football or rugby match and the camera is shown the picture from a distance (i.e. top of the stand), it is also the same on when you get a close up of some ones face or something fast happens on the picture.

I have got the Sky box set up to allow RGB signal through the Scart connection and it doesn’t matter how many times I try to improve the picture it still looks watched out.

I have connected my DVD Player to the TV through Component Video and the picture has improved.

Can any one advise me how to improve the picture on my Plasma TV through Sky? Is it down to the quality of the cable?

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have no experiance with this tv. if u are using a cheapo scart that could be a problem if so get a decent £40+ RGB SCART. thats the best u can do really. the problem is sky and other digital tv was designed to be used with tv's upto 28-32inch the plasma is showing u the true quality of the siginal, u could get an external scaler to clean the image up but that cost abit. HDTV should roll out and we can finally have the picture were want.

3. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a 42inch lg plasma and have had the same problem after posting a thread on here i was told it was due to the compression of the sky signal,it drives me nuts!!!!!!!! after a while you do get used to it.

4. Dave911

Dave911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I am reliably informed that Sky works on the MPEG 2 compression format and that any Plasma is really designed for HDTV whether it has the connection or not. HDTV uses the MPEG 4 format which put simply is a uses a lot more information.
    The answer is - there is nothing you can really do about it - the tv you have bought is for the future - but unfortunately we are still in the past :rolleyes:

5. gino555

gino555

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    my plasma has not got the connection for hdtv so am i double screwed!!!!!

6. Dave911

Dave911

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Doh :eek:

7. gary7

gary7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information guys. :thumbsup:

This explains the problem a lot clearer, someone told me it could be a faulty TV, which I was hoping it wasn’t!!

Does any one know if Sky are planning on upgrading the signal to MPEG 4 format?

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Sky won't be changing their existing broadcasts to use MPEG4 as the existing boxes AFAIK only have an MPEG2 decoder.

MPEG4 may come when Sky launch their HD service.

John

9. gary7

gary7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know when Sky will be launching their HD Service John?

Does anybody know how to set my Plasma so I get a decent picture then?

I was thinking about taking it back to the shop i got it from 2 weeks ago.

10. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    get a good scart, I too was disapointed with the picture when watching TV, DVD was only a little better but after investing in 2 expensive scart leads Im am more than happy with the PQ....

also go to settings on the sky box and change it to composite.... cant remember what the other setting is but its no good.

11. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Isn't it RGB you want to be setting it to? Composite is the weakest signal that just utilises a single yellow cable.

Abs

12. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    HD Sky is slated for later this year/early next at the moment as far as I know. There's not to many people that I know of with Sony plasmas on the forum so you might struggle to get setup ideas.

Whilst RGB is generally considered to give better picture quality, you might want to try setting the Sky box to PAL rather than RGB and see if it makes a difference as, for some reason, it can depending on the display - for example, PAL looks better on my 15" Phillips LCD than RGB.

John

13. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Sky offers an option of PAL or RGB, as I've mentioned in my previous post, it might make a difference for the better if you try PAL.

John

14. gary7

gary7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will try PAL setting tonight and see if I can see any improvement.

I will also try and get hold of some different Scart Cables, I have already tried some good quality Scart cables already but I get the same picture