1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture quality vs room colour

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Simon Bown, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Simon Bown

Simon Bown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be painting my living/cinema room soon and I believe that the rule is the darker the better. As I don't have a dedicated cinema room I have to take into consideration everybody else who lives here,so I can't paint it a very dark colour. My girlfriend wants an off white. The projector ia a Barco 708.
    So what I would like to know is how much the wall colour can affect picture quality.
    :confused:

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,657
    You want the environment around you as dark as possible. A lighter colour wall will reflect more light.
    I have magnolia painted walls in mine. NIce and bright. Blut also have dark curtains which draw closed around all the walls. Being 'ruffles' they also cover the flat, opposing surfaces of the walls and hence deaden the sound of the room.
    Take a look at my home cinema (link in my sig.). Curtains may be the way to go as they improve the picture and the sound.

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Agree with Stuart. The darker the better, although its not always possible in a room thats used for other things. I found having a darker ceiling and 1/2 dark walls was a good compromise. The idea of curtains to cover the walls is great if you're able to. Might do that myself someday :)

Rob.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It's not just the colour but the amount of light that bounces round the room.

We are tricky machines because our eyes adapt to the suroundings. By painting the walls and ceilings a dark colour tricks us into believing the picture is brighter.

This is a different effect to the light spilling from light walls and destroying the black level.

What ever you chose make sure it is matt.

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could'nt agree more .

you could paint your whole room black but if it was gloss you would still get a washed out pic .

i have just finished my cinema and chose wall paper in a dull gold . this looks very dark with the room blacked out .but when the blind is up still looks fine in the day

my walls where quite dark befor . the biggest improvment i have found is by not using gloss on the woodwork . i used matt emulsion and a coat of satin varnish over that (well a couple)