Picture Quality using Sky Eye

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by steve 111, Jan 9, 2004.

1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have a Sky Eye in my bedroom linked from my Sky + box to my Phillips 17" LCD. At present I am not impressed with the picture quality it is generating on my LCD vs what I was seeing on my old 14" Panny CRT.

Anyone any advice on how I can improve my Sky picture quality via the Eye?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You are watching a LCD panel fed a RF feed from the digibox, did you honestly expect it to be better than a RGB/Scart fed CRT?
    You also have to factor in the less then stellar bitrates that digital channels use, a small CRT will hide some problems while the higher spec LCD panel will tend to enhance artifacts/blocking etc.
    The quality of source material is a major factor in the performance of the modern flat panel displays, it's not as simple as spending X amoun above the cost of a CRT display and getting X amount better picture:(

If it's just a basic "fuzzy" pic on the LCD then perhaps selecting a different RF frequency might help.

3. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wasn't comparing a CRT with an RGB/Scart feed with an LCD fed RF feed as the old CRT was also fed by the Sky Eye i.e. RF feed. The difference in PQ is noticable and it is not tuning related.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Right, I follow you now:)

5. bobgriffiths

bobgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All flat panels LCD or Plasma fed with a less than perfect signal can look nasty .
    The built in tuners on some sets can be poor .on some of the sony LCD screens i have seen the built in tuners are terrrible.

I have used the Philips wireless video sender available from Argos or Index which also works the remote and because it connects into a scart socket it bypasses the in built tuner .This marginaly improved the picture (mad because experience tells you wires should be better)but SKY picture quality is poor anyway on flat panels.
    Digital artifacts rear there ugly head .Take the philips LCD down stairs and connect it direct to your sky box and watch some football or rugby you will see what i mean.
    There is nothing wrong with Flat panel displays if fed good signals via DVD for example.

hope this helps

P.S We need lots of HD programmes NOW! come on SKY there is a market for it and its getting bigger

6. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have to agree - I have a 17" LG flat panel and its pic from any channel is not that good. Its watchable from where we sit but your correct its not great. Shame when you consider the cost, when I plug my DVD player into it from SVHS its ok, and even better when I use the VGA input from my laptop - easily best using this input.

Tony

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Same as tonetrainer above. have the 17" LG in the kitchen and the Sky pic is very poor. very grainy. Such a shame as on the 14" CRT in the office (also fed via RF with Sky Etye) the pic is very good.

Roll on more LCD panels with built in digital tuners. I certainly won't be buying any more until they have.