1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

picture quality thru pan e85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by judy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. judy

judy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just hooked up my new e85 and i would like to ask how many use component leads rather than scart to the tv. because i have a sony kvm21 lcd tv the owner of sound and vision said i would get a better picture using component rather than scart. however when i swap from straight tv view to component (3) the picture turns rather grainy, definatley not as good. i know i wont normally watch tv thru the dvd but will it not also effect playback of recorded programs? are you with me as im a newbie?

also is it worth having the progressive video set to on all the time or only when playing a dvd video i.e. a bought dvd. i cant remember if my tv accepts progressive video but i think it does. does any of you dudes know
    thanks judy
    i am the only female techno nut out there?

2. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Can't help you with component as I don't have it but no you are not the only female techno nut out there - I fall into that category too!

3. judy

judy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Jem :hiya:
    judy

4. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi to you too :thumbsup:

5. skes

skes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i wish my missus was a techno nut, maybe she'd be a bit more understanding when i want new toys :)

6. judy

judy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is all very well but its not getting my question answered
    can anyone out there help

7. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Judy - I've been trying to find some info on your TV to help you out but I can't find mention of it anywhere. Are you sure you got the model number correct?

Also what have you got hooked up to the E85 and the TV and how?

8. judy

judy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive looked back to the tv forum and found my tv is progressive.
    my set up is. scart from digibox to dvd and no 2 scart to tv. component and audio cables from dvd to tv. also rf arial leads in and out of dvd. is that right tv is klv23mis i think

9. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Nearest I can find is KLV-L23M1 on the Sony site. Is that it or not? However I can't find any mention of component on this so perhaps not.

Connections should be;

Sky TV out to E85 AV2
    E85 AV1 to TV AV4 ( to make sure sound matches picture on component which I believe may be AV4c? Seems like you only have two scarts so it should probably be E85 AV1 to TV AV1

E85 AV1 should be set to video to allow component.
    AV2 set to RGB
    AV2 connection - "Normal"

Sky digibox set to RGB.

Is this what you have?

10. judy

judy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my picture from the ntl box looks better (marginally) set to composite rather than rgb. although i know it should be the other way round so i cant set the panny to rgb. the point is i am not using a scart from dvd to tv, im using the component leads because i was tild they would be better. i want someones opinion whether that is so. i may have to pose the query again.

11. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Judy, I'd recommend you follow Jems advice and try RGB scart connections throughout. This also has the advantage that the E85 doesn't need to be switched ON whenever you want to view NTL and widescreen switching is probably more reliable.
    Ultimately only you can decide what looks best so experiment a bit and see what you prefer. :)

12. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It's been a while since I checked my set-up (E65 DVDR via component to a Panny 36PD30 CRT, and an 'old' ntl digitial Pace STB, as opposed to the newer Samsung ones), but I remember something about having to set the E65 to S-video to use the component output (although, if you do actually view the picture via the SCART, it is output as RGB... ). Have a read of that page in the E85 instructions, again, to see if there's something you may have missed.

Note the anomaly that - unless you have the E85 connected to an amp - you will also need to connect it via SCART for sound, when using component video leads.

On my kit, using component most definitely makes a positive difference (clearer, sharper, brighter), and also cures some problems the PD30 has when using RGB inputs.

johnjackthom is correct in saying that the E85 will always have to be on, to view via the component input. I haven't had any problems with widescreen switching.

I tend to only use the component to view when watching DVDs (both pre-recorded and recorded) and any special programmes on the TV (and that's when the Denon 3805 AV amp comes into play ;) . Otherwise, as there's a SCART connected, the RGB output is fine for 'normal' viewing.

My old 4:3 telly also seemed better via composite, from my ntl box (it was twenty years old by the end, though!) - maybe there's some tweaking you need to do on the LCD - are both SCARTs RGB compliant, or is one S-video only???

Also, do you have to 'invoke' the component view on the LCD TV, or is it automatically recognised? On Panasonic TVs, you can scroll through the different connectivity options that may be available on any particular input (normal/RGB/S-vid/Comp) using the FastText buttons - is there a similar function on Sonys?

Can't comment on Progressive, as my telly doesn't do it (long story - see PD30 sticky if you're an insomniac :D )

13. judy

judy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Note the anomaly that - unless you have the E85 connected to an amp - you will also need to connect it via SCART for sound, when using component video leads."

i used the red and white audio leads for sound

"johnjackthom is correct in saying that the E85 will always have to be on, to view via the component input. I haven't had any problems with widescreen switching."

i have a scart to tv from old digibox

"Otherwise, as there's a SCART connected, the RGB output is fine for 'normal' viewing.
    i think i will add a scart as well ( not anther £30)!

i must admit the rgb issue is begining to confuse me i'll have to read some more

"Also, do you have to 'invoke' the component view on the LCD TV, or is it automatically recognised"

it goe to av1 automatically is that the #RF signal? i have to press av input on the tv to get component (3).

ah i wish one of you was here to help, my so called knowledgable husband isnt that interested cos it in my own room!

14. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    How many digiboxes are you using in this setup?

Add a scart to what?

AV1 is not RF. RF would be found on channels 1-5. AV1 is a scart input - what have you got attached to AV1?

It would help us a great deal to help you if you detailed exactly what you have connected to each item and with what.

15. Teleport

Teleport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if this helps but I've just got an E85 and I noticed when I was connecting it to my projector via component that it says in the manual not to set the component output to progressive (set it to interlaced) when connecting to a CRT TV, even if it it does have component inputs.

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Don't we all! :rotfl: