1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Quality/Setup of HS2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by B0zza, Nov 18, 2003.

1. B0zza

B0zza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ordered an HS2 yesterday and it arrived today. It's the first DVD device of any kind I've owned.

First thing I did was plug everything in and try The Lion King (region 2) and Finding Nemo (region 1) to make sure the multi-region was OK. Both discs played fine, but...

I was not impressed at all with the picture quality on my Sony KV-32WS2U.

I had the TV, the HS2 and my Sky Digital box all connected via Scart cables. I disconnected the HS2 from the TV and the picture kept running, so the output was seemingly going through the Sky Digi box. I disconnected this completely and connected the HS2 to the TV directly and the picture quality still seemed poor.

It's difficult to describe exactly what I mean by poor, the best I can say is that, compared to the picture quality we are used to from Sky, it is like going back to analogue again.

I expected Finding Nemo to be very sharp but this is not the case at all, no lines seem sharp in the slightest.

When you have the HS2 menus on screen, again they are not particularly sharp - again in contrast to the Sky menus for example.

Is there something fundamental set-up wise I have missed? I know the HS2 will not be groundbreaking in terms of DVD playing, but I'm sure it should be presenting images better than appearing than if it were an analogue video recorder producing them.

Thanks for any help,

Darren

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Make sure you have set the input and output to RGB. Have you got the scarts the wrong way round? Sky tv out to tv in on the hs2, hs2 tv out to the rgb socket on the tv.

Quality on mine is excellant

3. B0zza

B0zza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ken - nice one - many, many thanks for that.

Finding Nemo now playing and looking wonderful.

Now to get the rest of the setup sorted. Any tips for getting Sky channels etc. setup would be well appreciated!

4. B0zza

B0zza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mmmmm - still playing about...

My TV has two Scart sockets on the back. I've had the HS2 connected to the first one. When I cycle through the connections on my TV this has the DVD output displayed under 'AV1' and 'RGB'. In both cases the output is very good. So, I connected the Sky box to the other Scart socket - this results in the output being displayed under 'Video 2'. However, this picture is not all it should be (neither all it was before the HS2 was brought into play).

So, it seems that the first Scart socket results in a decent picture on the TV, the second one does not.

Does this make sense?

I guess my questions/options are:

1. Is there any way of improving the picture via the second socket?

2. Do I need to use the second socket, or can I access Sky output on the TV via the link that goes through the HS2 and into socket #1?

3. Or am I stuck with one decent picture (whichever device goes into socket 1) and one not so good picture (the device that goes into socket 2)?

Thanks again,

Darren

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    B0zza,

You want to ensure Sky is set to RGB (in the Services/Setup/Picture Settings/Video Mode on the Sky EPG).

Ensure the HS2 connections AV1 and AV2 are BOTH set to RGB (in Functions/Setup/Connections) and AV2 is also set to "normal".

Now hook your equipment up as follows:

Sky TV Out (bottom Scart socket) > AV2 on the HS2 and then AV1 > TV EXT1
    Sky VCR Out (top Scart socket) > TV EXT2

This will enable you to record an RGB signal on the HS2, watch Sky in RGB when the recorder is not recording and when it's dubbing you can switch to EXT2 on the TV and watch in video.

6. jem

jem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Most televisions only have one RGB enabled scart socket. The other scarts are usually just composite or, in some cases, S-Video. A few televisions have more than one RGB enabled socket.

As more and more pieces of equipment are now RGB capable, it's time TV manufacturers gave us more RGB enabled scarts. It would save all this daisy chaining and scart switch boxes.