1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture quality quite dark

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dfield2000, Sep 21, 2004.

1. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Has anyone noticed that many of the scenes in ANH appear to be too dark resulting in a loss of detail ?

When R2D2 gets captured by the Jawas, the picture is awfully dark and I can't make out much detail in the Jawas. Also, when R2 and 3PO meet in the Jawa 'truck' - the scene appears so dark that I find myself squinting just to see what's going on. Other scenes include when 3PO is getting the oil bath a Luke's, and the bar scene when they first meet Han.

This might just be a problem with the performance of my projector, a Sanyo Z1, as I've only calibrated it to NTSC so far and not got around to doing it for PAL R2, but I must say that it's never really been a problem before.

Does anyone else have a problem like this, or is it just me ??

PS - I'm not saying that it is a problem on ANH only - it's just that I haven't watched the other 2 yet.

2. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,418
    Hi,

Only watch bits very quickly last night. Firstly the picture was very good for SWars part 4, i was impressed, hopefully get better with each film. The scenes you describe looked fine on my Tosh RP.

I will take a proper look tonight.

rai

3. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers.

I was also very impressed overall - no scratches on the print, very sharp, etc - it's just that certain scenes just seemed too dark.

4. dillspooch

dillspooch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I watched ANH last night. It looked darker than I've ever seen it on video before. Very noticable in the scenes you've pointed out, but I thought the whole transfer was dark.
    I watched the R2 version on a Panasonic Plasma.

5. Repton

Repton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Even on my 28 inch TV it looked very dark at those scenes

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, I'm glad other people have noticed this as it means there's nothing wrong with my projector.

7. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Yep the same scenes you mention were very dark on my 36" Tosh, but the rest of it looked very good.

8. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I Borrowed the region one copies to watch about a week ago. I thought all three were very dark in many places. Infact I kept checking I hadn't changed the colour setting on my screen. I even tried using the THX optimiser to see if it would make the picture look better. It turned out I had the screen set up right anyway. :confused:

9. sunderland

sunderland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    same here as well thought i had changed my picture settings as some of the movie was very dark but still great films

10. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It doesn't seem any darker than it used to be, but I noticedthat the black areas of the picture are now really black as oppose to fuzzy darkness.

11. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, I've watched ANH again tonight, and I'm convinced that there is something not right here. It's like someone has grabbed my remote and knocked the brightness setting down a couple of notches

dsw182- you've hit the nail on the head there, there are many scenes where there are just big areas of black which just show no detail at all.

Fair enough, it's an old film and you can't expect miracles - but with all their trumping about 'THX mastered for superior picture quality' - I'd expect better.

Having said that, and to repeat what I've just said in another post - I'm just chuffed to finally have it on dvd anyway, even if it does have flaws

12. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    dfield, mine looks fab on a avia calibrated 36inch CRT. run the optimode on the Ep 4 disc then look again. but as you say you've calibrated to NTSC so that may be why.

Gary

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    When i get mine i will check it out, i am getting the R1 version and my PJ has been calibrated to NTSC via Avia.

14. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ahh, good thinking ! I've been meaning to get the DVE disk to calibrate for PAL, but I forgot about the optimode calibrations. Obviously not a comprehensive as DVE, but it should help me if my brightness / contrast settings are way off.

I'll try tonight and let you know if there's any difference.

15. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It does seem dark, but only where the pic IS dark. In the scene with Greedo and Solo, that struck me as darker than usual. But "usual" to me means an old video and a film I saw at the cinema way back in 1977! Actually I was very impressed with the quality of the black in the pic, certainly a lot better than a lot of modern films I've seen.

16. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I too found the Jawa chapter a bit dark on my first viewing yesterday (R1), so I ran the THX optimiser today and it is much improved. Also ran the THX optimizer from a R2 disc and saved both user settings on my PJ, flicking back & fore from NTSC to PAL saved settings using the Jawa chapter showed a big difference in brightness. Definately worth doing if you are experiencing this problem. Much better now..in fact I think I'll watch it all again !!

17. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I ran the optithing last night and I was amazed that I had to increase my brightness by 30% ! This has obviously made a big difference to the scences I mentioned.

I was a bit confused though, because if my brighless levels were so off, why haven't I had the same problems on other PAL material ? I was going to save the settings for use for all PAL stuff, but I've now read a post in the DVD section which says that the THX optimiser tests are specifically for the film on the disk that your running them on.

Looks like I'll need to save a slot for the picture setting just for viewing the trilogy. Strange how these star wars films need such a bright level.

18. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I used the one on the monsters inc disk ages ago. then i bought the AVIA disk and ran that, the amount of adjustment was negligable between the two. i thought optimode was really cool especially as its free with any THX disk.

have you tried watching anything else to see if you think the picture is too bright? or does it look ok?

Gary

19. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I watched 'Chronicles of Riddick : Dark Fury' last night, which has many dark scenes, and I just used my standard settings and all was fine.

I wasn't planning to save the settings from the Star Wars THX opti test for anything other than Start Wars - but out of interest I'll try some other disks with these setting and see what it looks like.

20. Mole69

Mole69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I thought those scenes were paricularly dark, but I thought it might have been the settings on my TV.

21. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IIRC, the pluge on NTSC is a lot lower than pal...resulting in dark scenes when watching Pal discs on an NTSC calibrated monitor.
    Remember, when you set the black level (or brightness), you are actually setting Pluge.
    Then again I may be taliking a load of b:censored:s but I'm sure they mention it on the avia disc somewhere. I've a feeling that the next time you play an NTSC disc, it will be way to bright. If you have different setting on your PJ (like setting 1 & 2), I'd suggest using the THX optimode on a R1 disc to do R1 and on a R2 disc to do R2 and save them on seperate settings...

some Pioneer players allow you to set the pluge for Pal and NTSC. (I know a 717 I used to own did anyway...)

22. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,121
    The R2D2 scene where he's trundeling down the valley before first meting the Jawas was made darker in the original SE for some reason. In the original theatrical version, it was a daylight scene, but the SE was made to appear dusk. The camera pans down in the SE too, whereas before it was just a straight shot.

With Avia, NTSC black is 7.5ire (a milivoltage of say 0.49mv cos I can't remember exactly), whereas PAL is 0ire (and lets say 0mv), so setting black using Avia (for NTSC) means that PAL films will lose any grey detail below 7.5 and above zero, as black will be rendered whenever 0.49mv or lower is presented (PAL shadow detail of say 0.3mv will look black as it's below the threshold of 0.49).

Setting black using a PAL test disk like Video Essentials will mean that NTSC will only ever deliver a dark grey and never black, as it will only ever present 0.49mv to the display, which needs 0mv to render black.

Some DVD players have a 0ire or 'below black' setting which makes NTSC black level the same as PAL (both 0ire), so it shouldn't be a problem then.

HTH

Gary.