Picture Quality Problems On 50" Samsung C96HD Plasma. Help?

R

Ross -A-

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum.

Last week I took delivery of my 50 inch Samsung Plasma and the picture quality is terrible. I have it connected to my Virgin Plus box via HDMI cables. I've had various engineers out all week and today someone said that tv is broke and they are sending me a new one.

What I want to know tho is what quality to expect from this tv? Will it be as good as my old Sony 28inch Widescreen CRT? All the other tv's in store look great and the store manager told me to expect that level of quality at worst.

I'm not sure if I'm setting my expectations to high for my first Plasma. Wanted some input from you guys.

Thanks

do a search, you are not the 1st to complain about this model. Your expectations are not too high, your buying advice might be lacking a bit! I expect they demo'd you with a super high bitrate HD channel, with all settings maxed out under fluorescent lights. How you are supposed to make a good choice from that I do not know.

do a search, you are not the 1st to complain about this model. Your expectations are not too high, your buying advice might be lacking a bit! I expect they demo'd you with a super high bitrate HD channel, with all settings maxed out under fluorescent lights. How you are supposed to make a good choice from that I do not know.

The demo was just on ordinary freeview. I also had them move the tv over to there Sky HD supply to see the difference. Both times it looked brilliant. Ten times better than what I have now (although the engineer did say my tv is faulty)

I read the other thread about the person who bought the same tv as me. I basically have to wait 4 weeks till my new gets delivered now. And when this one comes I cannot exchange it or get my money back so in the next week I need to make a decision on wether to go through with it or just get a refund and buy a different tv.

Any tips on the best tv's out there to work alongside Virgin media would be much appreciated.

I have this tv and can honestly say once you have played about with the settings the picture quality on SD is excellent.

I have mine connected to sky+ for SD viewing, TVIX for HD and 360 & PS3 for gaming...

Overall I'm really pleased with the performance, I can only agree yours must be faulty

As for the comments regarding pioneer etc .. everyone to their own taste

Hope this helps

I have this tv and can honestly say once you have played about with the settings the picture quality on SD is excellent.

I have mine connected to sky+ for SD viewing, TVIX for HD and 360 & PS3 for gaming...

Overall I'm really pleased with the performance, I can only agree yours must be faulty

As for the comments regarding pioneer etc .. everyone to their own taste

Hope this helps

Hey

Any chance you can post your full settings for me to try out on mine? I'm really in two minds wether or not to cancel the full thing. Like I said, once I receive the new tv I can no longer get a refund. I also still have the option of moving back to Sky if this is gonna be better than Virgin Media. I have 25 days to cancel my Virgin.

Thanks

There seems to me to be a 50/50 split, those who are happy, and those decidedly not. Is this a QC issue I have to ask? Are half of them faulty? There really cannot be that many muppets who can afford a 50" plasma and a house big enogh to fit one in, half of you cannot be doing it wrong. The ones I've seen, and I've been out to a couple to give an opinion on, were mediocre TBH, I couldn't exactly say definitively they were faulty, just a bit pants. Not helped by their 'enhancing' software, turn off every single picture enhancement there is, that certainly helps. Still not a patch on the cream of the crop, so you are right, everyone to their own taste. It's a bargain price, you can't have it all. No way will it ever be near a Sony CRT. However, comfort yourself, cos it's a damn sight better than a Sony LCD!!!

There seems to me to be a 50/50 split, those who are happy, and those decidedly not. Is this a QC issue I have to ask? Are half of them faulty? There really cannot be that many muppets who can afford a 50" plasma and a house big enogh to fit one in, half of you cannot be doing it wrong. The ones I've seen, and I've been out to a couple to give an opinion on, were mediocre TBH, I couldn't exactly say definitively they were faulty, just a bit pants. Not helped by their 'enhancing' software, turn off every single picture enhancement there is, that certainly helps. Still not a patch on the cream of the crop, so you are right, everyone to their own taste. It's a bargain price, you can't have it all. No way will it ever be near a Sony CRT. However, comfort yourself, cos it's a damn sight better than a Sony LCD!!!

The thing is this, I always wanted a Samsung, I love the design and look of the whole thing. To me its the best designed tv out there, but if my picture quality is gonna suck then I'm not bothered about having to spend some more money on a better tv. When I went to the shop to buy it tho I was told this was a great price for an amazing television. Thats the only reason I bought it, I consulted two different sales people on different days and they both said the same thing about this tv.

So far its a big let down and I'm not sure if I should just try getting a new one that isn't faulty. Or get my money back and find a better TV.

Virgin Media's engineer told me that "thats just the way Plasmas are" Those were his exact words. He said they looked grainy and pixelated coz they couldn't handle the SD picture as the tv was too big. What a load of balls!

Yes, the V man spoke with forked tongue, but so did the 2 sales people. Perhaps it has an amazing dealer margin?? It's definitely a great price. You must, however, be the 1st person who always wanted a Samsung. To me, it's like saying you always wanted a Kia Pride. Not very aspirational. I do own a samsung product, a Q1 tablet PC The finish looked great new, but a bit sorry now. The pointing titty no longer centres properly, and one of the USBs is detatched from the case. That's typical of the sammy experience.

Yes, the V man spoke with forked tongue, but so did the 2 sales people. Perhaps it has an amazing dealer margin?? It's definitely a great price. You must, however, be the 1st person who always wanted a Samsung. To me, it's like saying you always wanted a Kia Pride. Not very aspirational. I do own a samsung product, a Q1 tablet PC The finish looked great new, but a bit sorry now. The pointing titty no longer centres properly, and one of the USBs is detatched from the case. That's typical of the sammy experience.

Interesting. Like I say I personally love the look and finish of the Samsung tv's, not many tv's look better than them. But at the end of the day its a good quality picture I want so I don't care if I have the ugliest tv set, so long as the picture is great. I'm swaying more towards getting my money back and putting extra to it in order to get a different TV.

I find the Sammy TVs look really plasticky but the brother-in-law bought 2 recently (Q97 and R87 LCD) as his wife really liked the look so I can see people do like them

I think there is a grain of truth in what the V+ man says about large screens showing up how crap their signal often is.

Personally, if I was told I can't have a refund once the replacement arrives, and that I've got to wait weeks for it anyway, I'd be returning this one out of principle and shopping elsewhere.

I find the Sammy TVs look really plasticky but the brother-in-law bought 2 recently (Q97 and R87 LCD) as his wife really liked the look so I can see people do like them

I think there is a grain of truth in what the V+ man says about large screens showing up how crap their signal often is.

Personally, if I was told I can't have a refund once the replacement arrives, and that I've got to wait weeks for it anyway, I'd be returning this one out of principle and shopping elsewhere.

Any tips on where to look for new tv's and what kind to buy? I see plenty of people on here sticking with Pioneer and Panasonic.

What would you suggest or what do you have?

I basically have to wait 4 weeks till my new gets delivered now. And when this one comes I cannot exchange it or get my money back so in the next week I need to make a decision on wether to go through with it or just get a refund and buy a different tv.

Where did you buy this TV from ?

If you do go for a replacement and that also turns out to be faulty you have the right to a further replacement (should the shop want to entertain this option) or demand a full refund.

You have statutory rights as a consumer & if the replacement turns out to be unsatisfactory you have the right to request your money back.

I would cancel, get a refund, reconsider what you want to buy & buy it elsewhere.

Any tips on where to look for new tv's and what kind to buy? I see plenty of people on here sticking with Pioneer and Panasonic.

What would you suggest or what do you have?

I have a Panny commercial panel. I'd recommend the PH10 to anyone. It does need a separate amp and you have to think about connections but for about a grand including 1xHDMI, 1xSCART and VGA, it strikes me as an utter bargain. I'd also look at the Pioneer 508 (overpriced imho but seems very good) and Panny PX70. I haven't seen that Philips 5332 people are talking about being a big step up from their old excursions into plasma land.

I have to say, my friend is quite pleased with his Samsung Q97 but I think he uses it for consoles more than TV. DVD looked good on it to me.

Where did you buy this TV from ?

If you do go for a replacement and that also turns out to be faulty you have the right to a further replacement (should the shop want to entertain this option) or demand a full refund.

You have statutory rights as a consumer & if the replacement turns out to be unsatisfactory you have the right to request your money back.

I would cancel, get a refund, reconsider what you want to buy & buy it elsewhere.

I bought it from Currys, I also took out their "Whatever happens" policy. So for the next 5 years no matter what happens to the tv I get it fixed or replaced. Thing is tho this tv hasn't worked properly since day 1. The manager told me yesterday that when my replacement comes if I'm not happy with it I need to keep it. He said my 28 day money back guarentee will be expired and the tv stays regardless if I like it or not.

Seriously just thinking about going and getting a refund and then shopping about a bit more.

The manager told me yesterday that when my replacement comes if I'm not happy with it I need to keep it. He said my 28 day money back guarentee will be expired and the tv stays regardless if I like it or not.

Seriously just thinking about going and getting a refund and then shopping about a bit more.

That sort of attitude stinks.

They cannot make you keep it if there is something wrong with the replacement TV, that's going against your consumer rights which hold legal ground in the EU. What Currys says does not hold ground, you are protected by consumer rights.

Please go back to Currys & tell them you want to cancel & get your money back. I had so much trouble with them when I also wanted to return a poor LCD last year. It's really not worth it. Take your custom elsewhere.

That sort of attitude stinks.

They cannot make you keep it if there is something wrong with the replacement TV, that's going against your consumer rights which hold legal ground in the EU. What Currys says does not hold ground, you are protected by consumer rights.

Please go back to Currys & tell them you want to cancel & get your money back. I had so much trouble with them when I also wanted to return a poor LCD last year. It's really not worth it. Take your custom elsewhere.

Just been out to Currys, they're sending someone to pick up my TV today and then I've to go out and get a refund.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom