picture quality on R3 dvds - is it my screen?

kwijibo

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have asked this in the DVD section too, but I am increasingly thinking that it is either my DVD player (Pioneer 757i multi region) or Plasma screen that is having a problem with this. Maybe MAW, Joe or Gordon have some ideas on this...

I have the Edko Video R3 version of Hero that I watched last night. Generally the image on the plasma (Pioneer 43mxe1) is great. A little bit of mosqito noise, but generally very good. However, with this particular disc (which I understand is generally regarded as an excellent transfer) there is alot of line structure and the picture is really quite poor. I have this same issue with my R3 of The Others.

Any ideas if the problem lies with either the DVD, DVD Player or Plasma Screen

I'm wondering if there is a setting somewhere that may be causing this that I have on without knowing it

Do you have any other NTSC (eg Region 1) material........and do you see the same artefact? Or is everything else you have PAL (Europe, Australia)?

R1 is great, R2 is great, even sky is mainly great

As you say, perhaps someone in the trade has an insight. On the face of it, though, the fact that a given disc is coded for R3 should have no effect on the video signal. It will be nominally identical to that produced by an R1 disc. There is no direct relationship between region code and video signal standard.

done some playing around with the system. Its not my screen, its my DVD player causing the problem. I shall ask more over in the correct area

Hi, You're not alone. I have a panny viera and I have noticed that all the region 3 dvd's are crap quality, I got Old Boy (great film btw), 2046, Hero and more and its the same deal with all of the them. I don't know why but any r1 and r2 dvd's are fine. Bit of a mystery really.

I have always found R3 discs to be inferior to R1 and R2. I find them to be soft and a little washed out. They are OK on 32inch CRT, but they look poor on projector and my 50inch Viera. I have recently repurchased Amelie and The Others, the difference is obvious.

kwijibo said:
However, with this particular disc (which I understand is generally regarded as an excellent transfer) there is alot of line structure and the picture is really quite poor. I have this same issue with my R3 of The Others.

Hmmm? I'm a bit puzzled by that one as I always thought line structure was only noticeable on CRT displays, and that fixed pixel displays such as plasma panels were incapable of showing a line structure. :confused:

On the matter of region 3 quality, I recently compared my region 1 version of Kill Bill to my friends region 3 version (both NTSC) and the American region 1 was clearly superior. The region 3 looked soft and lacking in definition in a direct comparison. Whether this is common or not I don't know as this is the only region 3 disk that I've seen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom