Picture Quality on Panny via Htpc

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by guyski, Mar 13, 2006.

1. guyski

guyski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Started to pull my hair out last night so thought i would pass my problem on to you good folks in the know!!

Let me first of all tell you what equipment i have.

Right here goes, i have a lewis m1200 htpc which has a nividia geforce 6800 card and also 2 black gold tuners connected via dvi to a dvi terminal board in the panny th-50phd8! i also bought a meaga booster wide band aerial from maplins!!

Now the problem!!!

Whilst watching freeview, objects especially footballers, horse racing all have a lot of noise around them, also any text on tv is not sharp and clear!!!

Its that bad that you cant make out the faces of the footballers when the camera pans back!!

What do i need to do to remove this so that i get nice sharp, clear outlines??

Has anybody else had this problem or is it just me and thats what you get with freeview? or does the panny need setting up? or is it the graphics card?

:lease: help as at the moment i feel like selling the whole lot and going back to crt!!

Also i best mention that i have no experience with computers or plasma tv so any advice needs to be in laymans terms not to techie

Thanks,
    Guyski

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    what res are you feeding the panny? I am not big on HTPC's but lisag knows her stuff drop her a PM also worth cosidering pro calibration of the screen see www.homecinemaengineering.com

3. guyski

guyski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi feeding panny with 1024x768

Thanks i will drop lisag a pm

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    well try feeding it native res its 50" 1366x768 is what you need to feed it 1024x768 is 4:3 so your screen is rescaling and stretching the image how are you connected DVi? or VGA? never heard of the PC you have tho (not really int HTPC stuff pain in the ass IMO) do they do custom confi or just send them all the same?

5. guyski

guyski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

using a dvi cable

I think they send out all the same configs!!

I got the htpc from www.lewishometheatre.co.uk

will try a different res

Thanks

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    to use 1366x768 via DVi you have to use 60Hs (59.94) which may introduce judder on PAL (50Hz) material other res to try are 1280x720 (panel still rescales but 50 and 60Hz support)

You spent £2800 on PC? and they dont install it for you and set it up!!!!!!!! thats outrageous

7. guyski

guyski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know what you mean about price but i saw it in home cinema choice and it got a good review!!

I have all my dvd's, cd's, pictures and games on it and its great not having to move from sofa, i just use the remote!!

If only i could get the tv quality right i would be a very happy bunny!

Tried a different res but no different in picture quality?

still have to pm lisag but thanks for helping..

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    Hello guyski

01. You need to convince your HTPC supplier that they really ought to be installing/configuring a near 3K PC or taking it back - assuming your HTPC supplier knows a lot about PC's and a little about calibrating a Display I'd have an ISF Calibration Technician on hand to ensure you get the optimum set-up.

02. Failing 01. you need a crash course in PC Graphic Card configuration.

03. Once you sort out what your up to at 02. you need a crash course in PHD8 set-up and adjustment.

04. If 02 and 03 is not viable call in someone who can help configure your PC and then configure and calibrate the Display.

You may also want to reconsider your PC to Display connectivity - if the PC has an Analogue VGA out you may get a better result using that in preference to DVI as you can then do all the Video processing for 50Hz and 60Hz sources in the PC.

Best regards

Joe

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    hmm if you dont notice any difference something funny is going on................ and if DVD is spotless it may be far deeper (1024x768 is no where near the best way to feed a 50 PHD8.........) You should have an awsome system (perhaps it is) but it needs an experts eye onsite to say if its fixable or not and how ISF is a very good place to start

10. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34

Can you get 1336x768 at 50hz using VGA on this panel?

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    yes the panny is very very flexible via RGBHV (VGA) 50, 60 75 HZ all work at native res on 6, 7 8 series IIRC (GIzlaroc, liam, Gordon Joe etc will know for sure been a while since i played with a 50")

Guyski, any news matey?

12. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Horny, what is the best res to feed a PWD8 for DVDs?

Sorry for the thread hijack! :)

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Wlater i am sure i have answerd this ese where (in threads you have posted in)

14. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    must have missed it, didn't think I got a reply to the thread I created. Will check back, cheers. :)

15. guyski

guyski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your reply's and help!
    I decided to go to my local family run panasonic dealer which i hoped that as it was a small family run business i would get a fair answer to my questions!!

YES!! Iam very happy now.

They explained that what i was witnessing was bleeding as a result of low resolutions being transmitted by sky/freeview and that when hi-def is transmitted it will be of a higher resolution!
    I also explained that i was getting the same effect with internet pictures!
    Again this is down to many pictures on the internet being a low resolution.They showed be some examples of Hi-def and picture quality on various models and sizes.To be honest with you mine was no where as bad as what i was seeing but i still needed to be sure on my panel at home, so they came to my house as i only live 5mins away and fed my panel with Hi-def and also a different HTPC.

The hi-def just blew me away and yes if i view pictures that are produced with i higher resolution they look out of this world!

So it was basically all in my head!! jumping into the future of telly too soon but hey not long to go for Hi-Def !!! Cant wait!!

Also my HTPC is GREAT!! It may be expensive but nothing out there touches it power and quietness and you get great aftersales help!! Which is worth every penny on its own..www.lewishometheater.co.uk

Thanks again

Guyski...

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Guyshi where are you as i think you may still be missing out on alot. Sky can look stunning on 50" fed properly, is PC still baging out 1024x768? Making HD look good is easy! making SD material especially sky/FV look good is where the magic is mate.

BTW its impossible for a Plasma to BLEED...... what you are seeing may look like bleeding but it isnt bleeding only a CRT can bleed