1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture quality on my plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by philp_i, Aug 1, 2005.

1. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42" panasonic PW6 Plasma with the following terminal boards scart and component, what do i need to do to get the best possible picture from it.

Is the best picture i can get while watching dvds through component? and are they any settings on the tv i can change to make things a litle sharper?

Thanks to mep today i now have a very basic knowledge on home hifi, but im still a complete beginner.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    yes component should be best.....use cinema mode dont have brightness or contrast too high...sharpness around 5 or 6....use decent cables too. GAmma should be set to 2.5 (in advanced settings) turn off clolour management

3. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again m8, should i use cinema mode for just dvds or everything ie: sky aswell?.

4. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    hello mate...yes cinema mode is best all round

5. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, sorry to be a pain but i have just plugged the 3 rca's into the terminal board of the plasma and the other 3 rca's into the component on the dvd player and i dont get anything no pic or sound any ideas m8?

If i plug the yellow rca into the line out on the dvd i get a pic but no sound if that helpds, but i thought i needed to use all 3 in the componenet?

thanks again

6. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    philip,
    you will have to enable component out on the dvd player,these dont carry sound , only video.

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    you also need to set the screen to component.......and sometimes you need to connect your dvd via scart to see a display so you can change it to component output.

8. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a scart block with 3 rca inputs on it and a switch i can flick to input or output, once i change it to component out can i get rid of the scart?

cheers

9. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once you have the DVD player outputing component you won't need to leave scart connected. What you will need to do however if you have speakers on the plasma is connect the red/white rca sockets from the DVD player (audio L/R) to the plasma's audio inputs (agains red/white) on the appropriate input board OR if you don't have speakers on the plasma connect instead to a stereo amp or av amp inputs.

The yellow rca is composite video by the way - poorest quality video of the lot and no sound.

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    yep lose the scart and connect sound to your amp and you should be up and running mate

11. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know how to switch a component out on my dvd player, its a sony ns730p, i have gone through the menus but carnt seem to find it, and i dont have instructions with me.

thanks

12. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    i think there may be a button on the front panel......progressive.....that you need to press http://www.css.ap.sony.com/ look here for the manual

13. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i press progressive i get an error message sayinf operation not possible line is set to RGB in screen setup, any ideas what i have to do, i have looked in the menus of my dvd player and plasma but carnt really figger out what i have to do.

cheers

14. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    To connect your DVD player to your display for component video and audio you will need 5 RCA Phonos. The component video takes 3 (the phono sockets on the TV and player will normally be red, green and blue and labelled something like Pr or Cr, Y, and Pb or Cb), the audio takes 2 (they will normally be red and white). Any yellow phono socket is likely to be composite video - and not relevant.

Many DVD players won't output RGB via SCART and Component via phonos at the same time (This is because often the same output circuitry is used to derive them both - so it is either/or). Somewhere in the AV or Output set-up menus on your DVD player there should be a video output option, which may scroll through options like composite, S-video, RGB, Component etc. You will need to switch from RGB to Component if this option is available. You may also have an option for progressive output - select this if your display is progressive input capable.

You will then need to disconnect your SCART and connect the 5 RCA phonos.

If you get yourself in a mess and can't see the output of your DVD player any more to change menus - use the composite (yellow RCA phono output) to see the menus - as this should always remain present.

15. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi steve thanks for that, ill go and have another play with it, just 1 question i have a audio/video mulit channel receiver so do i need the other 2 rca plugs? as i have an optical cable.

cheers m8

16. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i found the screen set up meun in the dvd player, but i only have opptions of, video, s-video, and rgb any ideas now m8

17. IceWorks

IceWorks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you need some local help :clap:

18. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can help me with my pioneer

19. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Phil it's prob going to be video..just try it....and as per previous posts you don't need the stereo rca connectors if yuo are going direct to amp with optical or coax digital connections

20. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what your saying is if i select video on the dvd player that may be component?

cheers m8

21. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    yes....easiest just to try it though......it's got to be one or the other :)

22. philp_i

philp_i
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I carnt remember which one did what today, but one gave me no picture, one gave me a fuzzy black and white picture and the other a normal picture, so ill select that in the morning.

Then ill take the rca's out of the scart block plug them in the component out on the dvd and it should all work

Fingers crossed,lol