Picture quality on andridd media players

chamelious

I've been reading reviews and thought i'd settled on the himedia q10 pro as a somewhat future proof (will be upgrading to 4k tv+ 5.1 proper amp soon) media player.

Somewhat worried by people mentioning "picture quality" as an issue with them on these forums, which never seems to get mentioned in reviews. I wasn't aware that its really possible for the media player to affect picture quality, AFAIK its 99-100% the file being played and the output device being used.

Can anyone aware me? Is the quality on a 4k file going to be worse on a q10 pro vs a full on HTPC for eg?

Thanks

JabbaNut

Sorry but is complicated as there is lots more happening than your example, both at software, hardware and number of apps running level. More still if over the internet content, even your own local file store adds varibles.
It gets to a long argued list. Hence why some buy the same kit, as they have heard, seen and liked.

sjackson

In my opinion we are still on two box systems; one for excellent picture quality (HTPC, Dune, PCH, Mede8er, Oppo)(& perhaps frame packed 3D MKV/ISOs) and one for streaming and flexibility (Android box). It might very well be the case that you are very happy with the Android box but unfortunately you won't know that until you try it out.

Buy from Amazon. They make it really easy to return if you are not happy.

chamelious

Would anyone speculate what the quality would be like compared to the built in DLNA player on my Samsung TV? If its going to be a step down from that then i'll avoid.

bubblegum57

Perhaps, someone could suggest a test image/tool we could use to compare image quality between media players & tv DLNA players?

JabbaNut

I am guessing your picture quality is that of the device sending dnla to the TV. What are playing and with what player.

If Android, Antutu video tester.

And read here. Home

Last edited:

chamelious

I am guessing your picture quality is that of the device sending dnla to the TV. What are playing and with what player.

If Android, Antutu video tester.

And read here. Home
As far as i was aware, DLNA just makes the file available on the TV.

The files on my DLNA server (a windows 7 pc running universal media server) are NOT being transcoded.

chrisgeary

I find the image quality on my Minix U1 to be good enough. I haven't done a comparison with the Popcorn Hour A210 it replaced though but I'm not finding myself wanting to go back. The only thing I found is with amcodec acceleration enabled, it produced horrible smearing on some darker SD content (Star Trek Voyager). I disabled amcodec, adjusted the audio sync and things were much better.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom