1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Quality on 32PF9986

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Kieranross, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Kieranross

Kieranross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this TV about 2 weeks ago.
    The picture quality does not appear good, quite grainy and somtimes ghosting around the edges. (not what I was expecting as this TV is supposed to have a good quality picture).
    I have a normal aerial and sky box, which were okay for the old analogue tv.

Do I need to upgrade the aerial or the sky box ? (its a few years old now).

regards

Fed-up

2. Trotsky

Trotsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I brought my philips 32pf9986 about 1 month ago and the picture is brilliant (although it took me 3 weeks playing around with the picture settings to get it just how I liked it).

Did you buy good quality scarts to go with your LCD? If not it would be worth investing in a good quality scart. Makre sure your Sky box is connected to Exit 1 scart as well. If you still have problems you may need to upgrade your sky box (how old is it?).

Good luck anyway, when you picture improves you will be very impressed.

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sounds like you're needing to fettle your TV! Have you got the right settings in? If not let us know and we'll point you in the right direction. As Trotsky says, you need decent Scarts...again let us know if you do and we'll help you get really good really cheap ones. You'll be amazed at the PQ once it's sorted.

Jimmy

4. Kieranross

Kieranross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Scarts came with the TV.

I shall invest in some better quality one's to see if this helps.

What did you mean the right settings ?

The sky box is about 5 years.

regards

fed-up

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you look in the 9986 appreciation thread, the hot settings are there somewhere....if you can't find them I'll send you the link tonight. The age of the Sky box shouldn't make much difference - mine is 7 years old and is fine....if a bit slow....

You can get really good, cheap scarts from the likes of www.tvcables.co.uk for £5.99! Check them out.

We'll getcha sorted...

Jimmy

6. Trotsky

Trotsky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture setting are really down to personal preference. I watch a lot of football so have set my settings to best suit watching football, especially evening games for which the original settings produced a very ugly green tint on the pitch especially for evening kick offs. Once you have it sorted you will be very happy with the results. :clap:

Jimsman,

I hesitate to tell you this, given you have put a link to a site that sells scarts for £5.99, but I paid £70 for one of my scarts and £39.99 for the other 2. Wish I had had discovered this forum before I shelled out for them!!! :D

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Here you go....these settings are a general guide and should get good results from most sources.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18270

Your grainy picture could be caused by a poor RF feed. I found that the 9986 does a better job of cleaning up crummy terrestrial feeds than my old CRT used to.

Once you have some decent leads and all these settings, things should look pretty decent.

Jimmy