Quantcast

Picture Quality of Windows on a TV

owain_thomas

I am interested in the whole idea of building a HCPC (I am currently using my modded xbox with some great results for the money), I have read loads on here and on avsforum about the topic, but there's one thing I am unsure about:

A lot of people don't seem very pleased with the PQ of normal windows screens when displayed on their TVs. I have a 36" toshiba tv (36ZD26P), which can accept prog scan via component video cables. In my PC I have a radeon 9000pro. Would I be able to get a useable windows interface on my TV, and what sort of quality would it be? I remeber that when I had my 14" portable TV hooked up to the composite output of the TV out on my video card it was awful, but thats what I'd expect. Will I be able to read the text on screen, could I use it for browsing the internet?

Lastly what resolutions could I use, and what would be the best way of outputting the signal, I 'm sure I read somewhere that if you get a DSUB to BNC cable, then put BNC to Phono adapters on the Y, Pr, Pb connnections (i.e. just leave the h.sync and v.sync connectors unplugged) you can plug a video card straight into a component capable TV, is this correct or do I need a convertor?

Thanks,
Owain

PS any one had a look at windowsXP MCE up and running yet?

Jeff

You can't do it with your Radeon 9000, but the Radeon 8500 and the 9700 cards have an optional component out dongle. I think that they are only available in the US (the dongles) so you might have to import. The other option might be a VGA to component transcoder but they don't come cheap (few hundred pounds).

Jeff

Top Bottom