1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Quality of E50 vs DVDR80

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by joels, Nov 23, 2003.

1. joels

joels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking to get an dvdr and I have been browsing this forum and others to try to decided which model I should go for. After reading every post and review I can find I have become completely confused. :confused:

At first I thought about the Phillips DVDR80 and then I changed my mind to the Pan E50 and now I have no idea at all.

I am not that bothered about media although the features of DVD-RAM are nice, but the discs maybe a little to expensive for archiving purposes. What I am really bothered about is picture quality. Ideally I would like to record 3 or 4 hours on a disc and I was wondering if anyone as had any experience of the picture quality of the E50 compared to the DVDR80?

I've read a review somewhere that said the DVDR80 had great video compression and that the video looked good even at M6. Is this true? Is the DVDR80 worth the extra dosh? I am a bit put off by the problems that people seem to be having with there Phillips machines though.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Joel.

2. primitive

primitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture quality of both the Panasonic and the Philips machines in 3 to 4 hour mode is nothing like as good as off air. This is because the resolution drops on both machines at about 2.5 hours. If you want to keep decent picture quality you really do need to limit yourself to 2.5 hours max on a disc. That said 3 or 4 hour mode is still better than VHS but if you are used to the excellent picture quality which DVD offers you will find 3 or 4 hour mode disappointing.

At the higher resolutions both the Philips and the Panasonic give excellent results. The Philips DVDR80 has the guideplus system which is a bit like the Sky EPG and simplifies programming rocordings and an 8 hour recording mode. If you don't need this functionality you could go for the Philips DVDR70 which is much cheaper. The DVDR70 was reviewed in this months Home Cinema Choice and on quality the review said "As regards video you simply won't buy better recording quality for the money. M1 and M2 are both breathtaking in the amount of fine detail that can be captured from digital tv via RGB"

That said the Panasonic will have recieved similar praise for recorded quality. The main advantage, for some, is that the Philips machines use DVD+RW which provides an editable rewritable format which will play in most other DVD players. The Panasonic uses DVD-RAM which has superior editing and function like timeslip but these discs will not play on the majority of DVD players. Both machines can also use write once DVD's, but neither of these can be editted such that the editted version will play on other players.

I have the Philips DVDR70 and have had no reliability problems.

3. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The philips has slighter better colours on recording, but the difference is VERY small.

Certainly not enough to warrent chosing one over the other.