• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Picture quality of Android media players vs WD Live or similar

wang1

Just looking for a bit of advice for a media player with good picture quality + movie art (yamjb). Was looking at a WD Live or a Mede8er. I have a Sumvision MKV2 , PS3 , Apple tv 2( JB) and a HTPC. The htpc (i5 3470 , ATI 4670 and 4g ram) is ideal but evening using MAD vr I find its still not as good as my Sumvision or PS3 for picture quality. If anyone could recommend an Android media player that compares well to a WD Live or Mede8er I would appreciate it.

next010

Distinguished Member
Amazon's FireTV should be launching in Europe (it's been given approval by EU trademark body) so it shouldn't be too long before we get it.

Then you have the choice of Plex or XBMC on it but it's difficult to say unless you have all the devices you mentioned to compare against. If you already have an android device then run XBMC on it and check against image quality, comparing against PC isn't the same as the video is going through different decoding paths.

wang1

Thanks for your reply. I don,t have any android devices. The amazon fire has lots of reviews but no one has gone in depth to talk about the picture quality of the fire TV against anything else. At the moment my budget doesn't stretch to buying an oppo 103d darbee.

next010

Distinguished Member
There was some talk about that in the XBMC forums FireTV thread but that thread moves so fast that there are ten more pages every few days, I think it was mostly positive but I couldn't dig up the exact posts as it's well over 100 pages at this point.

There are two other options that I hope to be able to check out (eventually) the Solidrun Cubox-i series using a Freescale i.MX 6 chip and something with an Amlogic M8 chip. Both those differ from the regular android devices as support is baked into XBMC direct so it bypasses the typical android decoding system, however neither are quite available yet though the M8's are slowly appearing but from generic Chinese vendors.

If you try XBMC on a PC and are happy with the results it may simply be a case of biting the bullet and getting an Intel NUC to run it with.

wang1

Tried xbmc , windows media center and j river media center on 2 Htpc,s and the picture quality ( 2 different tv s ) is not as good as a stand alone media player. Thanks for your replies

a5ian300zx

Popcorn a400 or a410 it has sigma 8900 series chip with vxp processing. I have tried and tested many media player and the popcorn wins from them all in my opinion. I have tried xbmc with amd and nvidia gpu, hdi dune, Mede8er 1000x3d.

Thanks

a5ian300zx

I got mine direct from cloud media. Remember you have to pay taxes and duty at the end but still worked out cheaper I think it was around 225 inc everything.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom