1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture quality is everything for me

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by GYXI, Oct 29, 2004.

1. GYXI

GYXI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to buy a hd/dvd recorder in a short time
    What can you recommend me to buy - when picture quality has high priority?
    I want to record mostly from TV and want only to save some recordings on DVD!

2. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to fit a 2hr movie on one DVD at the best possible quality then you must use 2-pass VBR encoding. This is what separates proper encoders from fisher-price

DVD video recorders without this are really a cheap stop-gap

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    I wouldn't go that far. The highest quality is achieved by using a bitrate suitable to the length of the recording and then high speed dubbing to DVD-R - this ensures the recording is first generation. Most of the popular HDD/DVDRs can do this: Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer etc.

Now if you need to re-encode then that is where 2pass encoding comes into it's own. Certainly a re-encoded picture that is under 2hrs in length will look better on a Sony if the 2pass encoding has been used. However that picture is still second generation and necessarily be as good as the first generation on another machine.

4. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting point. I haven't tried the new 2-pass Sonys - is the re-encoding from 15mbps poor?

The Panasonic could be marginally better on simple material, but the Sony should destroy it on complex dynamic material...if the implementation is any good

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    There is no current source from which the Panasonic is 'destroyed'. Even encoding at SP it is using a bitrate in excess of what Digital broadcasting uses - even though such sources pass through the analogue domain there it is no where near enough to make a second generation look better than a first generation. And I should point out the VBR in the Panasonic is far more flexible than the Sony given that it offers dynamic resolution switching.

Of course it's not poor - but it is second generation. A re-encoded image - even one done digitally - is never as good as the original. Comparing like for like a current generation Panasonic first generation will look better than a re-encoded Sony picture. Obviously the original Sony HQ+ recording would look better than the Panasonic but then you can't put that on a disk 'as is'.

The bottom line is if you want to archive a programme and know the programme length then you should use the relevant recording mode and not HQ+. If you don't know the recording length then use HQ+ and re-encode.

6. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,
    can you tell if record made on DVD in Mpeg2 from digital source miniDV is second generation?
    Or it looks better than second genaration made from MPEG 2 original?

7. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, well probably '3rd generation' if you want it done two pass VBR on the Sony!

Rasczak, Panasonic SP mode doesn't pass my QC standards! From VHS, SP mode is losing some of the glitter and skin tones on Kylie's body! XP mode does the job though (well almost as good as the tape)

The panasonic encoder is no match for professionally encoded titles that use 2-pass. Surely the 2-pass Sony will be by far the most efficient while maintaining quality?

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Fair enough - PQ is always going to be subjective. Do you then consider the Sony to be better? If so I'm surprised because both I in my own tests and What Video consider that the current batch of Sony's are very good but far from the best at the 2hr mark. The current HCC also rates the Panasonic above the Sony for PQ as well. But as I say PQ is always going to subjective - whats good for one is terrible for someone else.

Only for re-encoding. As I say a first generation Panasonic is noticeably better than a 2nd generation Sony (produced with 2pass re-encoded HQ+ system). And for recordings over 2 hours a re-encoded Panasonic will look crisper (and thus possibly better) than a 2pass re-encoded Sony. As I've said before the HQ+/2pass encoding on the Sony is fantastic - but you need to appreciate it's benefits and where it comes into it's own. And that is for re-encoding programmes you don't know the length of.

9. GYXI

GYXI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have found my recorder now:
    It´s a SONY RDR-HX900. I know all positive and negative thing about this recorder - and for my use - it´s perfect. Extremely High Picture quality in recording from TV and only some recordings on DVD-discs. I think some of you forget that this recorder has 6 rec modes and you can record directly to the disc. (Not necessarily HQ+ first.).
    HX900 is the testwinner in a very thorough german group test (VIDEO Magazine) -> reason: SUPERP PICTURE QUALITY ON HARDDISC OR DVD-DISC.

Where can I read about Panasonic as test winner in comparison with Sony.???

thank you all for your advices. :hiya:

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    There is a comparison between Panasonic and Sony in the current Home Cinema Choice.

Some of the negative comments on these boards have been quite unfair IMHO - the Sony models are very good. Why not opt for the HX1000 though - it's only slightly more and has a 250GB HDD?

11. burcac

burcac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless its a freeview recorder, 15mpbs and 2-pass VBR are too tasty to ignore!