1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture quality has gone down the tube

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by TOM ALLEN, Jan 23, 2004.

1. TOM ALLEN

TOM ALLEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Right all you experts, wake up a the back'cos I'll be asking questions later:D my trusty 32" 4:3 tv is sick, 2/3 months ago the line output transformer went, had it repaired, £66.00 which I thought was great, however since it's operation it has white horizontal lines which can be seen when the screen goes blank, after adverts normally,also I've noticed that the edges of the screen are not straight, in fact they are positively bendy , & to top it all the picture is now very wishy washy.....before I contact the repair man, can anyone thro' any light on this?:mad:

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,042
    If the sides of the screen are not straight either like a a barrel or bent inwards like an hour glass it is what is called pincushion the repair man should be able to get it straighter than it is. Even if it only bending one way say at top something can be done, nearly all tv suffer a bit from it generally you do not see it as the edge of the picture is hidden by the TV casing but can be spotted in vertical straight lines like doors of window edges.

How old is the TV? If getting 5 years old and used a lot I would start thinking about getting a new WS job instead of keep paying for repairs.

3. _Sin

_Sin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It sounds like whoever replaced the transformer didn't bother to adjust the screen correctly afterwards - IME replacing something that critical usually throws the geometry all over the shop.

Sounds like you got a cheap repair which wasn't done properly... if it's just a matter of calibration then a decent engineer can probably sort it out very quickly. If it's something more serious (like the wrong part was used, or something else has gone pop) then I guess it's up to you to decide how much more money you want to spend.

4. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    White lines on a blank screen are an indication the internal brightness needs turning down. (beam current too high, showing up the scan return lines IIRC)

Both faults are easy to fix.