Picture Quality From Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by maxipax, Dec 29, 2006.

1. maxipax

maxipax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    Please can anyone advise. I have a Pano ex85 Hard drive recorder. I have connected a video player to it so that I can run my home vhs tapes to the hard drive them burn them on to a dvd. I followed the instructions from an earlier post on this forum, but it has copied to the hard drive very sharp and clear but when I have burned it to a dvd it has lost a lot of quality. The home videos are 3hr long and the dvd are a 4.7gb size.
    Many thanks for any tips or help...
    Regards
    max

Ps Happy New Year

2. Hal_loe

Hal_loe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Hi

I suggest you record in at least SP mode to the HDD, then split the recording using the divide function.

Have you got the NR for recording ON or OFF.

The modes XP, SP, LP etc work totally different to the SP and LP modes on VHS.

These are different bitrates so the lower the bitrate the more blocky the recording will become.

Hope that helps.

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,049
    Hi Maxipax

Can you direct us to which instructions you were following?

Evidently, if your recording was good on the hard drive but not once you had transferred rto DVD then you have been re-encoding, and it is that thats has cost you quality.

Basically, you can consider a DVD to be a 2 hour max medium at decent quality. If you have crammed 3 hours onto one DVD you can appreciate that the material had to be compressed by throwing 33% of the data away.

Ill come back later to the various strategies you can adopt to get around this.

The method that Hal_Loe suggests is a good one, but the methodology you use to make the transfer still matters.

Once we know what recipe you were following it will be easier to give you better help.

4. alan sh

alan sh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I recorded The hogfather onto a VHS tape, transferred it to my EX75 HDD and then saved that to DVD - quality seems fine (now I am using decent DVDs).

I saved and copied in SP mode - used 2 DVD's (1.5 hrs each). I've not tried any other quality yet.

Alan

5. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    You are encoding twice, once when writing onto HDD and once onto disk. You can set the "Record for High Speed" (or sth) option on *before* writing to HDD, then transfer losslessly onto the disks.

6. Mike999

Mike999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Alan, just curious - why did you record Hogfather onto VHS rather than directly on the ex85?

7. maxipax

maxipax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    The post I followed was this one
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353203&page=15

I am fairly sure I did it right. It sounds like the problem could be that I am trying to put too much on to the dvd. Is 2hr the max for geting on to a disk at a good quality. Can I get bigger disks? I also noticed that the recorded dvd was in 4.3 yet when I watch it off the hard drive it is normall. I tried to switch the aspect on my tv but it would not change it. Is there a solution to that as well..
    Many thanks for all your help

Regards

8. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    If you need to transfer a full 3 hour VHS tape to DVD-R then do it direct to DVD disc with a scart lead connecting VCR direct to AV2 on the dvd recorder.

Use the FR mode on the DVD recorder for recording and set the time for three hours. Providing that your VHS tape is of reasonable quality then the results will be satisfactory.

9. alan sh

alan sh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    My EX75 is connected to my NTL box which does not get Sky 1 or 2. I have a SKY box in another room with a VHS recorder attached. So I recorded it that way.

I also have a wireless connection from my sky box to the TV with the NTL attached - today, I got some scart take-off connections and connected that to AV4 - so I can now record from sky directly to the EX75 - as long as no-one walks by, in which case, the signal breaks up a bit.

Hope that explains it

Alan