1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Quality... DVD Player vs Computer (Mac Mini)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by monotone, Aug 16, 2005.

1. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Anyone experimented & compared picture quality between a DVD player & a computer like mac mini?

2. agent O

agent O
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the apple dvd player gives very poor results compared to a normal dvd player.
    you will notice quite a lot of blocks in the picture. the apple dvd player decodes via software and a dvd player via hardware. dvd player is way better.

3. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently using my powerbook as a DVD player (via DVI output) for the plasma. There's no huge blocks or pixels, but just wondering whether the quality will be of huge difference as the mac mini looks extremely favourable as a music library too.

4. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Curious, I have to say I have never seen these problems on any of my mac dvd players. The big gripe with software decoding is lip sync, rather than picture trouble. Watching on my G5 imac, I find the picture quality a lot better, because the signal is being fed straight to my mac display without being degraded by external cables.

5. agent O

agent O
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if you have your mac connected to a tv: if you have irobot look at the part near the begining when will smith gets out of bed. the wall behind him is very pixelated. it will prob look fine on your imac display. lip sync is also a problem with my mac. after about 45 mins it is well out of sync.

6. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the major issue for me is the fact that the mac still can't do all different region dvds. :-(

7. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Try the VLC player - it's region free, no probs with lip-sync, and no blocking.

My experience with the Apple dvd player is that it's ok. The deinterlacing isn't the greatest - it's easily fooled (bad edits, poorly flagged material etc), and I see a little smearing in fast action scenes.

My reference source is an Arcam DV27A - no slouch. For plasma viewing, I prefer the Arcam - smoother picture, better deinterlacing, and generally more film-like. For the projector, I prefer the mac-mini. The better scaling offered by the Mac (it's a 720p native LCD) tilts the balance in it's favour for me.

8. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The newer mac machines blocks VLC usage for Region 1 & 2 too.

I found the Apple DVD player actually looks better without the deinterlacing option, but some poorly mastered DVDs definitely need that option which made the motion not as 'natural'

It's disappointing, as the new matching external HD for the mac mini looks ideal to build up a decent music library, which i could play it through an external DAC that gives a pretty close result to original CDs.

9. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Oh, didn't know that. It works on my mini just fine.

I would suggest ripping it region-free (Handbrake, or something like that), but it's a major pain having to do all that just to watch a film.

I'm using mine as a music library, and it works very well. Ripping to Apple Lossless, using an M-Audio transit for digital out into an ART DI/O DAC. Sounds pretty good. Using a Palm T5 with Salling Clicker as a bluetooth remote is just the icing on the cake :)

Cheers, Carl.

10. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Can you provide any linkage to confirm that ? I have a new-ish powerbook, a new mini, and my sister has a new iBook, all of which work fine. It's something I remember being asked to confirm when I first got my mini, and it was news to me then as well !

Hanging around on Mac forums, it's not something I've ever heard rasied there either - and if VLC was blocking R1 & R2, you'd think people would be making a fair bit of noise about it.

Cheers, Carl.

11. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Carl

The mini still sounds tempting as a library. Was yours the first generation mini or the second? Do let me know the DVD drive details (from System Profiler).

As for the VLC issue, u can check it here...

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=10893

12. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks for that - looks like I've been lucky with my Macs so far ;)

Mines a Rev A mini - I'll post the drive details this evening.

Cheers, Carl.

13. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Matsh1tacd-rw cd-8123. VLC (v0.8.1) deffo works, just tried R1 (Team America) & R2 (West Wing) with no probs.

14. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Carl.

Will check with my mac dealer... hopefully i'll be able to test run the VLC prog on them b4 the transaction. Or have to ebay them. Just another note, is urs a combo or superdrive?

Cheers!

15. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95