1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

picture quality after progressive board fitted to dv88

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by av wayney, Jun 11, 2005.

1. av wayney

av wayney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is my first post so hello folkes

my trusty phillips 28" widescreen crt has blown up after 8 years service so i am in the market for a plasma. (excited)

i own a standard dv88 (purchased dec 2000) and would like to hear from owners of the same kit who have had the progressive scan board fitted.

question: is the difference really that noticable after you had the board fitted,is it a "wow look at it now" impact.

i ask this because i am on a limited budget and the plasma will (happily) take my bank balance to ground zero and i am intrestered in the prog scan board but i have to justify the £350 cost compared to the level of picture improvement progressive scan brings me.

in all my years of dv88 ownership i have never seen what it is really capable of.

your experiences and satisfaction levels please....

cheers...wayne

2. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

The improvement depends upon how good your display's deinterlacing is. If the display's deinterlacing is fantastic - you won't notice any difference. Most plasma displays have to deinterlace (convert to progressive) before a picture can be displayed. This means what you are really asking is "How much better is the DVD player's deinterlacer compared to my display's". Do you follow?

I own a Panasonic 50PHD7 plasma, and progressive scan makes an enormous difference IMO. Well worth it! However, I would buy the most expensive plasma you could afford first and then upgrade the player. Again, IMO really cheap plasma's aren't worth buying - the main problem being colour banding (I used to own an SD plasma - it drove me mad).

I would consider a 42HD panasonic plasma as a bare minimum. Probably best to wait until the series 8 come out later in the year. These will be properly HD compatible. The other alternative is the Pioneers but they have a poorer black level.

Regards,
    Ian

3. av wayney

av wayney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply ihan :thumbsup:

yes i see what you mean about the quality of the dv88 deinterlacing vs the plasma deinterlacing.

because of my limited budget i would be looking towards the cheaper end of the plasma spectrum £1500 panny pw7 42" maybee so i take it in that scenario the dv88 would hold the deinterlacing quality advantage.

anybody else care to comment on thier first hand experience of the dv88 after fitting the prog scan board.......

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    av wayney

Why not save the pennies for now and look to add a decent external Video Processor from the likes of Lumagen or DVDO - your budget would have to stretch to £700 but at least you would have all of your sources Deinterlaced, Scaled and Processed on a Per Input basis by something that easily outperforms the Displays on-board processing rather than an add-in Board that just Improves your DVD's.

Best regards

Joe

5. av wayney

av wayney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    joe hi

that is an intresting idea you propose but finances would put it into the future.

i am not intent on getting the prog scan board fitted just curious,if people say it really improves pq then i would seriously consider it.

i am sure that when i buy a plasma my standard dv88 will give me a satisfactury picture via component to be getting on with (for £900 i hope so :D )