Picture Problems - Using both 720/1080

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Buzz Lightyear, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Had Sky HD installed this morning. Noticed that the engineer set it up to display using 1080i which gives me a little issue. When it's set to the following the menu's and any text which are displayed look very cramped, leaving it really poor quality.

So i changed to 720 which resolves that issue but the picture then runs very slow (like there is a half second lag) on the majority of channels.

Any ideas?

Have a Hannspree 32inch TV and a Amstrad Sky HD box.

Tried 2 x HDMI cables (TV only has 1 socket)

2. chilipepper195

chilipepper195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What do you mean by cramped exactly? Do you mean its going closer to the edges of the screen? If so, it sounds like your TV might have it on a Zoom mode or something. Try turning that off by changing the aspect ratio to Wide and continue to use 1080i mode.

3. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's complicated.

For example the Sky Sports Logo seems to be resizing and losing the quality, same with the picture. Same with the menu's, it's just not as crisp as 720p but surely the quality should be the same if not better.

TV is set-up to 16:9 which is standard, like i said I've even changed it to 720p and the quality is excellent i just seem to be experiencing slowdown issues.

Does anybody think getting a Gold HDMI cable will improve the 1080i picture or the 720p slowdown? As there are no slowdowns when my Sky HD is setup to that.

4. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,541
    Using a gold HDMI lead will make no difference. HDMI either works or does not, no in between,

Which make of box did he leave you with and what is the model number of your tv?

5. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV is a Hannspree XV - YT07-32E1-000G

Sky HD box is Amstrad 780-055

Tried another HDMI Cable, you were correct.

6. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,541
    On your TV, you should have an input option on the TV menu, double check to make sure that is set to the correct option.

I know someone with the same TV who is running Sky HD without issue. Could be a duff HD box :mad:

7. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has your friend ever contacted hannspree in order for a firmware upgrade, was going to phone them and see if that could be the case.

My TV works fine using XBox through HDMI both 720 & 1080 so maybe it could be the box.

The slowdown is visible on sports channels especially football, i really dont understand how the menus look so poor using 1080 but excellent using 720p?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  8. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,541
    My friends Hannspree worked without issue. In the first instance it would probably make sense contacting Hannspree to see if their is anything they are aware of. Failing that, get the engineer back out.