1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture problem - advice please!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bonce, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Bonce

Bonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys, I have a problem with my Ellie XS-2000 which has been happening for the last couple of months. The horizontal convergence is very flickery across the whole screen - it regularly flicks out of line (red moves about a centimeter to the left and green moves half a centimeter to the left I think) for an instant (anything from 100 to 1000ms at a guess) so that you can see red and green lines to the side of a bright object on a dark background. It's parcticularly obvious on text, but it's also distractingly obvious on all other screen elements where there is a high contrast of light to dark, even the edge of faces, noses etc. It happens every 3 seconds or so when the projector is cold, and every six to ten seconds when it is fully warmed up (after more that one hour). To help ensure that you understand the symptoms of my problem, I've done some animated graphics to demonstrate. Go to http://www.swimforjo.co.uk/ellie/index.html to see what it looks like (apologies for the large file size on the Austin Powers screenshot).

It's equally bad on PAL or NTSC DVD, and also present when watching TV or video. I removed the SVideo cable to see if it was a problem with my source or cables... unfortunately it continues when I display the test pattern with no sources plugged into the projector.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Bonce

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    "cool"
    10/10 for the graphics
    You really need to to talk to Jim at screens Uk who are the distributors of the Ellie range.
    Some projectors have a horizontal potentiometer that is used to centre the image so that you do not have to use too much electronic adjustment. It could be that has gone a bit dirty and a quick twisle will free it up.
    Otherwise I would suggest a dry joint or loose connector. If you are happy to do it get in side and make sure all the boards and correctors are seated properly.

Crank up your sub and see if it get worse as the house starts to shake. Good indication of a dry or loose joint.

Otherwise you have a faulty scan or convergance board.

3. Bonce

Bonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice Roland.

I won't risk opening it up and tinkering with the potentiometers while it is still under warranty so I guess I'll have to keep trying to get a response from Jim.

4. James McHugh

James McHugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes as Roland said it is likely to be a dry joint on the convergence board. PM with your number and i will ring you tommorrow afternoon.:lesson:

5. Bonce

Bonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to let you all know the latest.

Jim phoned me and talked me through twiddling the necessary pots to attempt to clean the suspected dust out of them, with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner and it did the trick! The shimmering has stopped and I can watch TV without getting a headache, hurrah!

I'm glad you liked the pictures I did do demonstrate my problem - it was the only way I could think of to adequatly demonstrate the problem I was having. Let me know if you'd ever like me to do any similar images for you!

Bonce

P.S. Jim, I've also sent you an email to sales@ellie.co.uk please let me know if you don't receive it!

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hey I got one right

7. Blighty_Boy

Blighty_Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a shame you fixed it, you could have used those 50's style 3D glasses to bring your image ALIVE !!!!

:rotfl:

sorry I couldnt help my self ;)