picture on pt-ae100e looks very green. have i been fooled? Help please!

D

dummedanne

i just bought a used pt-ae100e from a guy here in sweden. he said it was fully working with no problems. He have had it mounted on the roof, but it had been packed down for a month before i bought it.

when i tried it it looked like the was a green filter over the picture. i tried component, s-video from dvd, and s-video from computer, but the problem was still there..

i reset all the settings on the projector, but still green.
when i found out how to go to the service menu, i checked the r,g,b panels and white color.

when choosing red, it looks perfekt, entire screen is red. When choosing green, its the same, looks green.

But when i choose white, the entire screen (except for the last 5-10 cm on the edges of the screen that is white) is light green! And when i choose blue, i get no color all (except for the last 5-10 cm on the edges of the screen thats blue)

whats wrong with it? Can this really have happened when i brought it home to me, (an hour drive) or when it have been standing unused!? or am i being fooled? is it expensive to fix and can i do it myself??

thanks for taking time reading this, i really apriciate it and i hope that you can help me. there isnt any good forum for this in sweden.

excuse me for my bad english
thanks again!

cyberheater

Take it back to him. Show him the problem. If he can't get the colour right demand your money back.

D

dummedanne

yes i will do that. but if its easily fixed i want to keep it. (if its cleaning for example). ideas of whats wrong?

cyberheater

dummedanne said:
ideas of whats wrong?
I don't know what is wrong but if it really is the PJ at fault it does not sound like a cheap fix.
Other members of the forum have had problems with the panels of thier AE100 so they might be able to point you in the right direction.

D

dummedanne

ok, thanks a lot. if even the projectors menys (supposed to be grey) are green it must be the pj and not input i guess. is it hard to open it up and clean it? Ive never done it before..

theritz

It sounds to me as though the blue polariser is damaged - the fact that you're getting a discoloured white screen is the giveaway.......... this is not a fault that appears suddenly, or due to being transported - it comes from use of the projector over a long period.

If the guy who sold it to you told you it was operating ok, then you should bring it back to him.

If you want to fix it (assuming that my interpretation of the problem is correct....) then a new blue polariser is about €100, and takes about 15 minutes to change, provided you've got the service manual to hand and you're happy dismantling and reassembling things.

If it was me, I'd be bringing it back to the guy I bought it from - even if he had it packed away for a few months, it's grossly unlikely that he was unaware of the fault - this particular problem is one which develops through use of the projector and appears gradually, not an overnight, mysterious event.

S.

D

dummedanne

€100 is what i bought it for.. a bit much to spend on this old pj.. are there any alternative to that filter? cheaper brands, copies, etc?
thanks for your answer by the way.. seems like the guy knew the fault, he is not answering his phone..

K

Kadders

dummedanne said:
seems like the guy knew the fault, he is not answering his phone..
Forget the phone! Go and camp outside his house with a baseball bat. :devil:

theritz

The polariser is a proprietary Panasonic part so there isn't an alternative part you can use. If the projector only cost €100 then it might be worth doing the repair - it's up to you to decide.

S.

Top Bottom