Picture on Philips 28PW9308 (or similar Philips)?

PeterL

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Philips 28PW9308 which I am mostly pleased with apart from auto-switching problems as mentioned on another thread.

However, I have a question concerning the picture. I notice on mine that on the outside couple of inches on the width, the quality of the picture degrades a little. By that I mean the size of the pixels (for want of a better description of them) increases, so that close up rather than being a very fine set of dots as they appear in the centre and for much of the screen, at the edges these dots stretch vertically so appear as short vertical dashes.

Is this normal for Philips or other TV's like mine or is something in the setup of the picture from the factory not right? It's not that you notice it a lot, just on brighter pictures, and I'm the only one in the family to pick up on it, but as you do, once you see it, you always see it.

It's not that bad, but if there is something not right that needs sorting out I'd rather know and so do something about it.

Thanks for your help with this.

PeterL

It's normal to have a finer dot pitch or grill aperture (depending on the type of TV) in the centre compared to the edges, it does lead to a slight defocussing but it's the easy solution when the market demands flat screens :)

The 9308's I've seen (all 32" though) have had panasonic tubes - which do not have such a fine dot-pitch as the Philips HD Cybertube used in previous models.

You can tell if yours has a panny tube by checking for a single pixel dot halfway down each side of the screen. If it has these, then it's a panasonic tube.

Originally posted by blindlemon
The 9308's I've seen (all 32" though) have had panasonic tubes - which do not have such a fine dot-pitch as the Philips HD Cybertube used in previous models.

The HD Cybertube is yet to be used in the European market. The HD version was penned in for use with Pixel+ however this never happened. Philips used Panasonic and normal Philips Cybertubes instead; these have very little difference in dot pitch and aside from internal curvature are quite similar in spec.

My "buggy" (view my thread) 32PW9308 seems to have a Philips tube on it (I dont see the two pixels each side of the screen).

Originally posted by steefler
PeterL, can you put a feedback in my thread :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93639

Please ! ;)

Thanks !!!
Yes, will do later Steefler. I have SW II so I'll try that disc in my DVD player (a Toshiba SD220) and post what I find in your thread.

blindlemon - thanks for that info - again I'll check later and post in this thread.

Thanks rct for the explanation. I suppose that with a convex screen it's easier to focus at the same distance whereas with flat screens the distances from the central source are all different, especially at the edges. Is that correct?

Originally posted by rct
The HD Cybertube is yet to be used in the European market. The HD version was penned in for use with Pixel+ however this never happened.
So the W76ERF* range of tubes are "ordinary" Cybertubes then?

blindlemon - I checked my 28PW9308 and it doesn't have the pixels you mentioned so I assume therefore that it is not a Panasonic tube.

Originally posted by PeterL

Thanks rct for the explanation. I suppose that with a convex screen it's easier to focus at the same distance whereas with flat screens the distances from the central source are all different, especially at the edges. Is that correct?

Bingo... absolutely right ;) (Of course the screen appears concave to the electron guns and convex to us)

edit: Woohoo 700! That is a big number thanks for pointing it out PeterL ;) :D

Originally posted by rct
Bingo... absolutely right ;) (Of course the screen appears concave to the electron guns and convex to us)

Thanks for the explanation... and with that Bingo you hit 700 posts - that's a lot of typing!

Originally posted by PeterL
blindlemon - I checked my 28PW9308 and it doesn't have the pixels you mentioned so I assume therefore that it is not a Panasonic tube.
You were lucky then! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom