1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture Noise

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gussie, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi,

Just got a Relisys RDVR250 from Staples and have a problem with it.

I'm using it to copy some VHS tapes to DVD+RW. On every recording I get what looks like a sort "Time Code" line at the top of the picture - except it can't be! - as I've tested with just recording the VCR menu and a home video - and I've tried two different VCRs.

I know the distortion along the bottom is video head switching noise but I should not be getting any extra lines at the top.

Has anyone else seen this sort of thing with DVD Recorders?

See the attached images (hopefully)

Gussie

Attached Files:

2. brandon_dvd

brandon_dvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is common with analog video. The moulding on the tv will cover it up. In other workds, you shouldnt see this if played on a tv. You will if played on a crt.

3. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for the quick reply. I know this top line noise and most of the video head switching noise at the bottom is lost in the typical overscan of TVS BUT I do not get this top line noise when capturing using a VIVO PC card.

It must be something the DVD Recorder chipset is introducing - do you know if other DVD Recorders do this ?

I got the DVD Recorder to save time in transferring VHS tapes to DVD - but whilst I have been impressed with the PQ there are several snags at least on this recorder.

1. This issue of picture disturbance at the top of the image.
    2. Very low recorded Audio level that cannot be adjusted
    3. None of my four! DVD set-top players will accept the resulting DVD+RW
    4. My well respected Toshiba PC DVD-ROM SDM1712 does not read these disks either - yet it reads any other DVD+RW I create using PC DVD Writers.
    Fortunately my PC DVD Writers - even the -R only Pioneer A05 - CAN read the disks.

To produce a reliable DVD this is what I have to do:

1. Make the recording on a DVD+RW
    2. Stick the DVD+RW into a DVD Writer drive on my PC
    3. Use DVD Decryptor to rip the recording
    4. Use ProjectX to de-multiplex (and edit if desired) to get m2v and ac3 files
    5. Use HeadAC3he to convert ac3 tp mp2 (this gives me a louder audio track and better compatibility)
    6. Use TMPGEnc to re-multiplex m2v and new mp2 file into an mpg file.

Then you can either just play the raw mpg file on certain DVD set-top players or use your chosen DVD authoring utilty to create a DVD-R disk.

Hardly user friendly BUT to get the same PQ - I do save the typical 4 hours or so it takes to encode just 1 hours worth of PC captured video and I don't need to have 12 GB of disk space per hour to do this.

Anyway if you've read this far you know what I'm getting at.

This DVD recorder only cost £90 from Staples BUT i was wondering if I would be better off returning it and getting say the Lite-On 5005 which I know does not record audio AC3 - so at least I would not have to do the audio conversion AND it may not exhibit the image disturbance at the top.

What do you think?

Gussie

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I know my Panasonic E60 doesn't add any extra test signals or timecode at the top of frame but it does sometimes show those which are broadcast (seen on some BBC DTT programmes) on lines very close to the start of active picture.
    None of these are ever visible on a normal TV but only while authoring/editing on the PC, so I don't think you should really be worrying about this unless most of your viewing will be at the computer. :)

5. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gussie,
    They have this recorder at my local Staples but they don,t know if it has it,s own tuner. Can you confirm the Relisys RDVR250 can record one station while you watch another.
    Thanks

6. Gussie

Gussie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The Relisys RDVR250 has a single built-in NICAM tuner so you can watch one channel on the TV and record another using the unit.

Here are some clearer pics of the noise at the top of the picture when just recording a static VCR menu with no Aerial connected to the VCR

I suppose I can't grumble too much - look considering the price I paid.

I was all set to return it - but I've had second thoughts - I'll probably keep it.

Gussie

Attached Files:

7. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gussie,
    Thanks for that.
    I reckon it,s a good starter recorder and will see me through to the next generation formats whatever they will be. Not one for queueing (Aldi specials) so will hop down to Staples in my own time and pick one up from there.

8. SAMMYTHE

SAMMYTHE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Many thanks Gussie,
    Just bought the display model at Staples for £70 works a treat.