1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture modes in HDMI on Samsung DLP question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DGtal, Jul 10, 2005.

1. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice in the manual for my SP46L6 it states that in HDMI only the 4:3 and 16:9 modes are available. I am thinking of trying HDMI but I've been using 'zoom1' quite a lot of the time for films where the ratio permits to avoid letterbox bars. Is there any reason why that mode isn't available with an HDMI input, and does it mean that you will always get letterbox?

2. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    That's not how I read the manual. I got the impression that all modes were available in HDMI, and the comment about HDMI referred to adjusting the picture position in HDMI mode, and that you can only adjust the position in 4:3 and 16:9 modes.

Perhaps someone can test this.

Here's the bit of the manual I'm looking at.

3. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Thats correct, only 16:9 or 4:3 modes displayed via hdmi, on the samsung dvd players you can use the EZ View if you want to fill the screen. :D

4. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's the bit beneath that cjgpers, where it says 'you can select only 16:9, 4:3 screen size in the PC or HDMI mode'.

I'm getting the Sammy 950 player when I can get hold of it so by the sound of it the 'EZ view' mode will be available on there. However will there be any impact on quality? Is anyone using it?

5. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

I have used EZ view once or twice, there was a little bit of difference in the PQ but it just works like the zoom or cinema on most TV,s. I personally dont bother now as the screen is that big its still a big enough pic even with the black bars.

6. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Sorry, I should have read a bitter further down the page. :rolleyes:

This is a bit like my current Panasonic CRT TV, which won't let you use the "stretched" display formats with an RGB signal, but will let you use them for composite and s-video.

Let's hope Thomson/Sky design the new Sky+HD box with this sort of limitation in mind, and provide a capability to stretch 4:3 SD material to fill the screen.

7. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

That's a bit poo really that 4:3 & 16:9 screen formats are only available on the Samsung SP50 via both HDMI & the PC input :thumbsdow

But as br14n pointed out the current Samsung DVD players have this 'EZ View' function so that you can fill the screen.

If no other DVD player offers a similar function for filling the whole of the screen then it looks as though you have to pair up your Sammy with another Sammy :thumbsdow

After seeing this thread I had a read of both the Samsung SP-50L7HXX & Sagem HD-D45 manual ( yes I know this is very 'sad ) . I therefore discovered that although the Sagem does not have an HDMI input as such & is thus equipped with a DVI ( HDCP enabled ) & PC input, screen formats can be switched beyond the 4:3 and 16:9.

I can confirm this because I played around with the picture aspect ratio on the Sagem with the standard HD demo feed in-store once. Every single aspect ratio the set has was available on the HD feed. You were not limited to just the two as with the Samsung.

8. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chaps for the replies. There must be a reason for it I suppose. (Pity it doesn't explain it in the manual, but that's typical of manuals!!) Of course with the PC input it will be controlled by the PC, and then you've got the DVI input on the Sammy as well which doesn't have the restriction, so no probs. Are we sure that this isn't common to all HDMI ports, you mention the Sagem you've read the manual for doesn't have one.

I was going for the Sammy 950 anyways, as for other players I would imagine they may offer a similar feature, otherwise they would have a competitive disadvantage.