1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture in Picture Vs Picture & Picture !!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Marcus D, May 17, 2004.

1. Marcus D

Marcus D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    can anyone enlighten me as to the difference between these two. The glossary on the Sony web page mentions both but not in sufficient detail.

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    hi..

if its the same as my thomson.. picture in picture will allow your normal main picture with a small second channel displayed in one of the four corners of the screen.

Picture and picture I would think is when the screen is split in 2 and displays a channel on each side of the screen.

Matt

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Marcus,

The difference is as described above by Matt.

Picture in picture (PIP!) enables you to watch one channel whilst keeping an eye on the other (much smaller) picture to, for instance, see when the next programme starts.

Picture and picture (PAP) is promoted as reducing family arguments as two people can watch their favourite programme at the same time.

I can't help feeling this is a bit tongue-in-cheek because there will still be a row over who gets the sound!

I suspect it's one of those features which was possible so they included it and dreamed up a use afterwards.

4. bananaman

bananaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Marcus,

As with Matt & Tight Git, I can't comment on the particular telly that you're asking about. However, Matt's description is exactly how the PiP and PaP modes work with my Panasonic 36PD30.

One thing of note, though. I've not tried it yet, but I seem to remember that for Picture and Picture on the Panny (where each channel has one half of the screen), you can elect which half (ie. which channel) you would like to listen to through the main speakers. The other channel can then be listened to by plugging headphones into the 'phones socket - cool, eh?! :thumbsup: The volume to the headphones is then controlled by a separate menu option - should cut down on the arguments!!

Must admit - I LOVE PaP!! :clap: I used it the other day while playing on my Xbox and watching Sky at the same time! Had my TV channel on one half of the screen, and was playing Halo on the other - excellent stuff!!

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    :confused:

I would have thought that would be near impossible to do unless you were just flicking it on briefly to see some footy scores or something!

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Bananaman,

I too have a Panny 36PD30 but haven't tried the PAP mode.

You see, I just watch what my wife wants to see, as it leads to a quieter life.

(Not that I'm hen-pecked, of course!).

7. Marcus D

Marcus D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for your comments folks. I have been directed towards Sony only because of good experience with other equipment. Many people mention the PD30 and by the same token many people mention it's faults. Just about to make purchase and would welcome any advice as Iam a complete newbie to this.

8. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PaP is bloody excellent!

We often network two xbox consoles using PaP, with the sounds from each console being sent to left and right channels. It works a treat, and it means you can play multiplayer without sacrificing frame rates, which is what happends when you share one machine.
    Playing project gotham 2 on link up using PaP looks excellent.

9. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Marcus,

As you will see in many threads on this Forum, the best advice is to try to compare your choices side by side in a shop.

Do make sure you are comparing like for like though. That is both sets fed from same source etc.

A dealer with a good returns policy is another "must", in case you get a dud.

Again, you'll see John Lewis highly praised on the Forum, they'll price match against other shops and include a 5 year guarantee.

Even a Tight Git like me thinks that's a good deal!

10. bananaman

bananaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Tight Git,
    In response to your post about wanting a quieter life - believe me, it'll be even quieter when you plug your headphones in and turn the volume up!! You can see their lips moving, but mercifully can't hear a thing!! :laugh:

And Kevo,
    You're right about it being impractical if you're the one watching the TV AND playing the console, but for my sins, I was 'watching' the Eurovision Song Contest while I played Halo :blush: . It almost seems a waste of such a good telly, but I have to confess to finding the contest pretty good fun!!

11. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PIP is where u get a smaller picture in the corner.
    It can be zoomed up to 3sizes and moved into any corner of the main picture
    PAP the screen is halved between two channels.
    On some tv's the 2nd picture sound comes out of the headphone socket so u can use the tv as two seperate tv's - Sharp do this.

12. chrisw112

chrisw112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone clarify the situation on the Panasonic TX32PD30.

I am thinking of getting one - and getting a little confused by some of the reports.

Is it possible to use PaP with loudspeaker 1st channel on say left screen - and headphone on 2nd channel on right screen?

Thanks