1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture in picture options on PW7/PWD7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by John_N, Mar 21, 2005.

1. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

In another thread I am debating about whether to go for the pioneer PDP-MXE1 or the Panasonic PW7 / PWD7 SD panels from somewhere like av-sales or similar.

I have a question about the picture-in-picture facilities.

I intend to view Sky+ (either via a JS RGB->VGA convertor or via a JS RGB->YUV convertor)
    Also the occasional DVD via a YUV connection.
    Also possibly the occasional HTPC connection.

I also have a video camera that gives me a composite feed from a security system.

I want to be able to (optionally) view Sky+ or DVD and have a small picture-in-picture of the video camera output in the corner of the screen.

I read that the PWD7 had better pIp options than the consumer unit.

What are the Picture-In-picture options here? Do I really need the business unit? Or could I maybe use RGB->YUV convertor and then buy a component video switcher and then have two boards in a consumer unit - one for composite and one for component?

Alternatively if the business unit allows a composite pIp display when showing from the VGA input then would that be better?

2. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The PWD6 has the option for PIP POP and PAP...... :) You can have 2 same size pictures alonside each other (Picture and Picture), Small Picture to side of main picture (Picure out of Picture), small picture within main picture in 4 different corners (Picture In Picture)..and maybe others too. I think the best combinations are available when PC VGA input is used as the main source. PWD7 can do same...don't think PW7 is as versatile...perhaps Hornydragon will know??

3. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response.

I gather that this is correct and the 'D' business versions are more versatile and allow the VGA picture in the list, whereas the consumer versions do not allow the VGA picture in the list. Fair enough.