1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture improvement through Amp ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Steve N, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,785
    I have a Denon AVC-A1SE
    After reading other threads I am wondering if I could improve my picture quality by connecting my Sky etc through the amp.
    I currently only use my amp for the surround sound but I keep reading about picture improvements by amps "upscaling" the picture.
    Would my amp be capable of this, and if so, how noticeable is any improvement ? :lease:

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    It will reduce clutter but not improve the picture also the reciever would have to be turned on when ever you wanted to view the source.

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    There are a few amps that upscale the picture, but they are very expensive, the Yamaha Z9 and the new £4000 Denon spring to mind, they have faroudja (or an equivalent) chips for processing progressive scan and uprating the image to 720p and 1080i I believe.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Most amps which people are talking about are converting video signals but not upscaling. As Kazman says there are a number of amps that now do this but they are all newer flagship type affairs at the moment.

The main advantage of the converting is that you only need 1 set of cables going to your TV/projector etc, only have to select what you want on your AVR and this will tie up the sound and picture (ie rather than selecting the input on the avr for sound and then again on the TV for the picture).

Whilst the AVR does not improve the signal there are certain TVs/ Projectors etc that naturally prefer one signal type over another, therefore though the signal quality is the same the end picture may be better (or worse). Personally I would see this as a boon if it happened rather than doing this expecting an impovement.

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Although the new phillips reciever sounds intersting, even if it had poors amps it would be good as a visual and sound processor for something thats a few years old.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Steve N

No - there's nothing in your AV Amplifier that's designed to 'enhance' or 'improve' video signals; additionally there's no RGB Input on the AV Amp so you wouldn't be able to even Input the best Output signal your SKY box is capable of delivering!

What Display are you using and how do you currently have your Sources connected to it?

Best regards

Joe