• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Picture frames

mac_monkey

Established Member
Hi,

Just moved into a new house so I thought I'd order some prints from snapfish to put on the wall, but I'm having difficulty locating frames.

The photos are all of my 8 month daughter. There's one high key B&W, one low key B&W and one with desaturated colour (almost high key) all 12" x 8" landscape.

Ideally I want to use a black, wide frame with a white mount for the "gallery" look.

A couple of questions:

1. If the photos are 12*8 what size frame should I get to incorporate the mount. I was thinking + 2" all around therefore 14*10?
2. Can you recommend any frame retailers?
3. Should I get the mount separately?
4. Any other advice?

Thanks in advance

Tom

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Ikea and The Range do a great selection of basic frames at very good prices. Also the Ikea ones definitely come with a mount included, as I think, do The Range ones.
You can essentially have the frame as big as you like provided you get a mount cut to the right size for the frame/photo. My dad likes to have a smaller photo and large mount, whereas I prefer a smaller mount and larger photo (in the same size frame).

I normally pay about £6 for a custom mount (laser cut) and a frame for that size photo in Ikea is about £11.

mac_monkey

Established Member
Ikea and The Range do a great selection of basic frames at very good prices. Also the Ikea ones definitely come with a mount included, as I think, do The Range ones.
You can essentially have the frame as big as you like provided you get a mount cut to the right size for the frame/photo. My dad likes to have a smaller photo and large mount, whereas I prefer a smaller mount and larger photo (in the same size frame).

I normally pay about £6 for a custom mount (laser cut) and a frame for that size photo in Ikea is about £11.

Thanks, I didn't think of IKEA.

Is this the Range? I've never heard of it before.

Where do you get your mounts laser cut?

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I didn't think of IKEA.

Is this the Range? I've never heard of it before.

Where do you get your mounts laser cut?

Yep that is The Range. Cheap and cheerful shop, but does a good range of basic frames, I have a couple from there that are great and only cost around £9. I too just wanted plain black frames.

I get my mounts cut at a place in Ipswich and in Aldeburgh. They are just independant photo shops, but I'm sure there is somewhere online you can get them done.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom