Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Picture fault - Sony

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Pete, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Pete

Pete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yesterday, my 2 year old Sony developed some kind of fault, whereby the colour in the bottom right hand side wasn't right. i.e colours weren't showing the same colour as they were on the other areas of the screen.
    The problem had disappeared by this morning.
    I'm out of warranty.
    Can anyone give me an idea what the problem is, how serious it is, and what a repair is likely to cost?
    Thanks.

2. AndyZetec

AndyZetec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like colour staining from a magnetic field etc, are there any external speakers close to the set?

3. Pete

Pete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, there are, but they are supposedly shielded! I'll move them further away, in any event.
    If this was the cause, will the damage be permanent, or will moving the speakers away, prevent it happening again?

4. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Move the speakers away from the TV and turn your TV off, by the power button, leave it off for 30 mins or so and switch back on, hopefully the staining will have disappeared.

5. auldendunn

auldendunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I had this with a 29" Sony. It was something to do with switching off/on too quickly. It was gone in the morning and only happened once more in about 6 years. I seem to remember my local Sony centre saying the degauss circuit had not come in or some such.

Sorry for rambling a bit, what I'm really trying to say is it should be OK.:smashin:

Cheers
    Jim

6. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Had exactly the same problem on an old 21" trinitron about 15 years ago and it was atributed to switching the set on/off too quickly..........It should sort itself out;)

7. Tony_Cook

Tony_Cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I once left a speaker too close to Sony TV when moving furniture and totally s*it myself - staining was really really bad (and telly was 1 day old). Left telly off overnight and perfect the next day.
    Otherwise no probs in 10 years.

Where is my FS76 I ordered ???:( :( :(

8. Tommo24

Tommo24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this problem apply to surround speakers?

I have the cube speakers supplied with the DAV770 right next to my tv with the centre speaker on top of the tv.

Is this ok?...its what it advises in the manual.

Thanks

Tom

9. Dog Man

Dog Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Usually speakers won't cause a problem, if you put a speaker which has a lot of stray magnetic flux you should see it right away.

Keep an eye on applifiers though, due to the big transformers inside they tend to cause some landing errors (colour patches).

Regarding the initial problem it was probably caused by the weather. An electrical storm can cause a magnetic build-up on you CRT. Usually this will be solved during power-on (Degaussing), if it persists then you will have to use an external degauss tool.

10. Pete

Pete
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the replies, the problem has not returned, and the first few replies, helped put my mind at rest, 'cause I was a worried man!