Picture fault - any ideas?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Dan666, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its all academic now, because this Toshiba 32Z23 is going back on Tuesday, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any clue as to what this problem is because its being replaced with an identical model...

This issue only occurs when playing DVDs, but didnt happen with my previous TV (a 24" Philips WS).

Basically, the top half of the screen has a dark patch over the whole width. It is mostly noticeable on scenes with sky or bright lights in the background. A perfect example of this is scene 12 of The Matrix, where Morpheus is introducing Neo to the Construct Program. What should be a pure white background starts to fade into a murky grey colour halfway up the screen, then gets lighter about an inch under the letterbox bar. This also has the effect of dramatically reducing the brightness of anything in the foreground - in this same scene, the faces of the two characters appear to have shadows cast over them.

As stated, this only happens with DVDs - My Netgem freeview box and PS2 (which feed through the same scart socket via a Quintro) come out near perfect.

So does this sound like a particular type of fault? Ive heard of all sorts of terms like blooming, flaring, haloing, ghosting etc - it would be nice to give a name to my pain!

2. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Stranger and stranger...

Despite having a perfect picture from my Pioneer DV444 on my previous telly, I decided to try a Toshiba player with my new TV. The problem with the dark area on the top half of the screen has now disappeared.

So to recap:

• Pioneer DV444 + Philips 24" WS = Picture OK
    • Pioneer DV444 + Toshiba 32Z23 = top half of screen darker than bottom
    • Toshiba SD110E + Toshiba 32Z23 = Picture OK
    Dunno what the hell to do now :confused: :confused: :confused:

3. Dan666

Dan666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well Ive done a bit of digging around and the general concensus is that certain equipment isnt as good at handling RGB as it should be.

So I switched the video output of the Pioneer to Composite; the dark band vanished and the top letterbox bar is a nice solid black, rather than the fluctuating grey it used to be. The picture now appears to be much better than when RGB was used.