1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

picture difference

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stan_toopee, Mar 6, 2002.

1. stan_toopee

stan_toopee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I viewed three movies last night, Predator(dts reg.1), Twister (dts reg.1) and Armageddon SE (reg.2)
    the picture quality on Twister and Predator was ok but soft in colour and detail, but Armageddon was absolutely superb, really sharp and full of detail. Is this due to the different TV standards?
    If this is so, would a prog scan player help
    I'm using a Panny AE100 onto an Icestorm 5 painted wall approx 8' wide.

Anybody know where i can get a ceiling mount for this pj

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    I don't know whether your equipment handles PAL better than NTSC.

I'd suggest that, before making a judgement, you should watch many, many more DVDs of both formats. Then you may get a general feel for the differences if any.

I use a Pioneer 737 wired component to a Sony VW10. I have a large collection of discs both PAL and NTSC. My general view is that the TV standard, on its own, doesn't make a difference. Differences in print and mastering quality have a much greater effect on picture quality than the fundamental differences in TV standard.

I currently can't use my DVD player's progressive scan feature on PAL discs, only on NTSC (eg R1 and R2 Japan). Progressive looks sharper, cleaner, smoother than interlaced. For this reason, I generally prefer NTSC discs.

Watched without progressive scan (eg via S-Video) there is little or no difference in general. Picture quality varies hugely from disc to disc, but I don't see any general trends that would dispose me towards PAL over NTSC.

If you can get a copy of the original R1 release of Starship Troopers, you may see what I mean. This remains one of the best NTSC transfers I have ever seen.

3. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I would say that the difference has nothing really to do with the TV standards, but the individual disks themselves.

Armageddon picture quality is excellent, I have always found it a great disk to use to show off picture quality on a projector. It even made an old Hitachi data projector I once had look great!

Conor