Picture difference Pioneer 656 V 757ai

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by leeoh, Apr 3, 2003.

1. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if there a big enough difference in picture quality between the 656 and 757ai to warrant the extra cost of the 757ai ? Picture quality is my priority.

I'm using a 32" Loewe Aventos.

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. Matthew J Taylo

Matthew J Taylo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recent reports in What HI FI suggest that they are as it sounds as if the 757ai has improved video DAC's, I think?

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi leeoh,

The 757Ai has a 108MHz 12 bit video DAC as against the 54MHz 10 bit one fitted in the 656A. The 757Ai also features NTSC progressive scan and iLink/Firewire outputs for all the sound formats featured.

Steve

4. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies guys, the prog scan feture is not applicable to my Loewe Aventos so its just the interlaced picture thats of real interest. I know the 757Ai has better video DAC's but just wonder if that translates to a picture worth the extra (list) £400 over the 656.

5. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Leeoh - I have bought a 757ai and have just done a very careful back-to-back comparison with my "old" player, a 717 (viewing the same scenes over and over, using the same connections). I found the 717 was better, with a clearer, sharper picture; the 757 was slightly darker and somehow "muddy." Please note these are comparative terms and I do think the 757 is a very good machine. But it's not the improvement I was hoping for. I've played with all the settings and found the "professional" one was the best. My advice is to do some careful research at a decent dealer or two. Also to beware of posts suggesting that any machine "slaughters the opposition" or words to that effect. I think that just doesn't happen and that on a 32-inch CRT (same as I have) you really aren't going to find jaw-dropping differences. I have no experience of very large screens and there may well be a bigger difference in that case; but if you're not heading in that direction I'd suggest the extra isn't worth it.

6. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    How much do you want to spend....???
    I brought the 656 and i am well plaesed with it..the pic is better than the 626, it replaced.....and that is how much i wanted to spend.

If you have the money spare, then go for the 757...dont worry what one has better PQ, or you will spend the next 8 months trying to decide....and then once you do decide, pioneer will bring the next model out, with better PQ than the 656,757.

If i've of had the money to spend at the time, i would of gone for the 757.....theres more WOW factor, when its sat on the shelf looking at you.

7. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your thoughts Chris, the priority is picture quality but not at the expense of paying double the price for minor improvements aka the law of diminishing returns.....

for the Loewe the feature I'm most interested in is the component outputs which both machines have. The SACD & DVDA functionality is of no interest to me at all. I only listen to CD's in the car never at home.

I'm only looking at the Pioneer's as opposed to another brand i.e. Toshiba as I would like the player to visually match my slim Pioneer AV amp sitting under the TV and use component output. The 656 would be perfect in this respect.

Having said that though the new forthcoming toshiba SD-220 replacement the Toshiba SD-330 sounds very itempting indeed with component out, multiple disc format including plays back jpeg's so can view my digital stills at last (currently 3 yr old Sony doesn't support CD-R's let alone jpegs) and is way under £200.

I will take advice given and check these machines out at a decent dealer and make an A - B comparison and decide.

8. loafer316

loafer316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bernard - I currently have a Pioneer 717 which is now 4 years old! anyway i'm suprised at the fact you found the 717 picture better than the 757. What output did you use on the 757? as i asume you could have only used the RGB scart on the 717.

I've always been very pleased with my 717 even though now in comparison it looks like a tank!...:laugh:..and was thinking of upgrading...especially if i bought a Plasma...maybe i can hang on to it a little longer and get a 757 when finances permit

9. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interestingly (or maybe not) in What Hi Fi's summing up of their new DVD champion - the 757 they said stick with the Tosh 520 or HK DVD 25 if you haven't got a progressive scan display (from a purely PQ standpoint).

DTTB

10. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I would like to add that i have owned/borrowed sub1000gbp players from these players

Harman Kardon
    Sony
    Philips
    Arcam
    Pioneer
    Toshiba

In my opinion the best (interlaced) PQ is still the Toshiba sd900 (S-vid on this player is fabulous also) which now available at about 700gbp is just fantastic value for money. SQ is very good also.

Steve (not a dvd player expert by any means)

FYI i have owned an sd900 for quite some time now but am utterly unbiased and am always looking for the next best thing.

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    I had a Philips 963, and returned it due to the problems documented here and over at avs (I had them too).

I then tried a Toshiba SD520e and greatly prefered the image. I used them both with my HT1000 projector and 7ft wide screen, and I felt the Tosh was a big improvement image wise.

I got mine from Richer Sounds, who price matched it from a list of .net prices I brought alone. Cheapest net price I've seen is £175, and that makes the Tosh excellent value.

It has the same spec DAC as the 656, but is cheaper. RS do that model too.

If you don't like it, RS will take it back within 30 days provided you have all the original packaging.

Gary.

12. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Loafer - I used scart-to-scart on both because, as you say, that's the best available connection on the 717 and in any case I wanted the test to be as close a comparison as possible. It might be, though I doubt it, that I've got an exceptionally good 717 and a slightly below-par 757. Whatever you think about an "upgrade", I strongly recommend you do a home trial and comparison first. And if you do do that, I'd be very interested to hear your conclusions!

13. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Sorry but I will strongly disagree!! The 757 gives better results on my plasma and CRT than the 737 (close) and the 717 (no way near the 757). I have checked again and again, 757 is the best from Pioneer.

14. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Blimey! I was looking to upgrade my 717 with a 757. I would be interested to see if anyone else has experience of these 2 players.

I'm using a Squart RGB only cable with my 717 and a Loewe Aconda 9281ZW and I am very impressed with my setup. Come on guys I need an excuse to buy a new DVD player!

15. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    CMcK
    Just search this forum... you will find a lot of material to help your decision.

16. 876

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    757 have 108 dac only on component output , Scart RGB have 27 mhz dac

656 have same mpeg decoder and same 27 mhz dac on scart RGB

Picture quality on scart must be identical