Picture Delay on DLPs?

cooleo_no1

Standard Member
Just wondering, before we make the investment in a DLP TV (either Sagem HD D45H G4 T or the Samsung SP46L6HX).

Is there picture delay on these sets? As in, it has a half second delay on the picture.

The reason I ask is because I like video games and will be buying an Xbox 360 this christmas - the perfect accessory for a HDTV :). I don't exactly want a delay when gaming...

Can anybody tell me if they currently have a delay with their game console - or is it so small that it's unnoticable?

K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Go for the Samsung one way or another.

There is no delay.

cooleo_no1

Standard Member
You keep downing the Sagems.

I realise your set is apparently grainy but I've seen the 45 in store and it certainly looks sharp as hell on HD over a PC.

Do you own a Samsung or are you assuming? I'm not asking about PQ, I'm asking about picture lag.

M

Marksurry

I have a Samsung SP46L6HX and can't say I have any lag or lip sync problems when using the Samsung for sound AND vision. However, when I use the Samsung for only video and run the sound through an external amp I notice a delay on the video feed. I'm lead to beleive that DLP rear projectors have a slight delay from receiving the video signal to putting the picture on the screen, something the Samsung can compensate for when producing both sound and vision.
Correct me if I'm wrong anybody?

cooleo_no1

Standard Member
That's what I'm talking about, any picture lag at all.

It's fine for watching DVDs, but when you need fast reactions for video games it's annoying when you press a button then it takes half a second before it reacts.

I've heard that Samsung's lag the most from a thread in this forum - can't find it at the mo.

M

Marksurry

I have an X-Box rigged up to the Samsung too. Can't say I've noticed the lag when playing games such as Halo2 and Burnout2. I think more gaming is in need to test this.
Problem is my reflex's aren't what they used to be :(

mr_sockochris

Novice Member
I've got the Samsung SP46L6HX, no problems with any of my consoles through Component or S-video. No sound lag either.

Jonesey

Novice Member
Got my Samsung 46 this weekend and have been playing Farcry and Burnout 3 on it. Have not come across any lag problems at all. Had the PC running through it on Farcry also, pure class. The only time I noticed a slight delay, was when it was playing a cut scene on Doom3, I was sitting there looking for these delays and that was the only thing I noticed. Had no effect on ingame play though.

Happy Xboxing!

S

stealth chicken

i returned both the 41 and the 51 coz of lag on scart xbox and dsub pc :(

I have experienced absolutely no lag on my XBOX through scart or composite on my Sammy SP50!

I'm still rubbish at games though! :)

gandley

Novice Member
Marksurry said:
I have a Samsung SP46L6HX and can't say I have any lag or lip sync problems when using the Samsung for sound AND vision. However, when I use the Samsung for only video and run the sound through an external amp I notice a delay on the video feed. I'm lead to beleive that DLP rear projectors have a slight delay from receiving the video signal to putting the picture on the screen, something the Samsung can compensate for when producing both sound and vision.
Correct me if I'm wrong anybody?

Thats not DLP only but could be said for plasma LCD etc etc. As the sound is now going external it is having to wait for the Image to be processed by the screen. Most quality amps provide a time delay to make up for this. But this is not a DLP thing. The more processing the Display does to the image the longer it can take. Some displays may process quickly so you do not notice the very slight lag.

the_pauley

Banned
No experience of lag or any other kind of sync problems on my SP46.

D

Dr Phibes

I've got a Samsung SP46L3HX with a softmodded Xbox using component cables and using the optical cable to a surround sound system and I haven't notcied any lag.
When I read the original post regarding lag, I tried hunting for it using varoius games and I couldn't find it anywhere.

the_pauley

Banned
stealth chicken said:
i returned both the 41 and the 51 coz of lag on scart xbox and dsub pc :(
Stealth chicken - all of the sets you quote are LCDs which are notoriously unsuitable for gaming. The thread is discussing DLP sets.

C

cheesewarrior

I've just got a hd-d45s and it does have a slight image lag. Its not that bad but it's still not good enough for FPS's.

slackbladder

Well once I've got my SP46 I'll post my experiances. When I tried my Xbox with Halo 2 on the Tosh 46WM48 I didn't notice lag just the smearing. I think even if there was lag it would be fairly hard to tell unless you have the reflexes of a cat! Anyway, when it gets here :boring: I'll see for sure..

Snap

Standard Member
cheesewarrior said:
I've just got a hd-d45s and it does have a slight image lag. Its not that bad but it's still not good enough for FPS's.
How did you connect your PC to Sagem?
I can't say i am newbie to FPS - playing it from WOLF3D times (1991) and i havn't noticed lag on SAGEM except for PIP mode when my wife was watching RF channels and i was testing different resolutions at the same time:)

C

cheesewarrior

I meant halo 2 on the xbox, not a PC FPS. As I say it's only slight lag and i'll probably get used to it, but it's not the same as my crt.

cooleo_no1

Standard Member
The thing is you do adapt easily if it's only a little lag.

I remember playing Halo 2 on a friends LCD screen, being a seasoned pro it was much slower than my CRT. It only took me half an hour to adjust though and it didn't bother me anymore. That said I wouldn't want major issues on a 2 grand TV for my personal use. Afterall - most of the HD stuff being put through the TV will be my Xbox 360 and PC games.

I was just seeing if there are major issues and it seems like there's little or no lag to most people's eyes, which is a great thing.

Snap

Standard Member
we are talking here about different things.
If I am playing Quake3 and the picture on TV appearing with 100ms delay, that means i will have less time to react and will be killed easier. the question is not to adapt to the lag but to play without handicap. And i have noticed no lag with PC connected via DVI.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published