Picture degradation when connecting Sky through DVD Recorder

AFC69

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have my DVD Rec daisy chained between my Pace PVR3 and the TV - ie Sky + out to DVD rec in (scart) and DVD out to TV in (scart). All connections are set to RGB in settings menu, but I notice that when watching Sky with the DVD recorder in standy, there is a slight picture degradation - ie the picture is "grainy" and not nearly as sharp as it should be. Both the DVD Rec and TV are Panasonic, although the TV is 6 years old now.

Could this just be the TV showing it's age, or is it dodgy scart cables - they certainly are not expensive ones - about a tenner each - how much should we be spending on Scrart cables?

Panasonic DMR-ES10.

RGB settings on Sky, DVDR abd Sky + must all be okay, ie set to RGB, as I get AV1/RGB logo on TV

Newbie here.

I don't think it's the age of your telly, or your scart leads. I get exactly the same problem with my Sony TV, Sony RDR-GX210 and Thomson PVR3(?). The AV1/RGB logo is displayed when the DVD recorder is on, but changes to the AV1 logo when it's in standby. I've just joined this forum to ask exactly the same question! Any ideas??

Harry, if you don't get the AV1/RGB logo when the DVDR is in standy, then you need to check your Sky settings and make sure it's set to RGB.

I get the AV1/RGB logo both when the DVDR is being used, AND in standy.

Sky is set to RGB, and all the leads are in the right places. I guess it's something to do with the way my DVD recorder works. I suppose I could switch it on every time I want to watch the telly, but that doesn't seem right to me.

Sky is set to RGB, and all the leads are in the right places. I guess it's something to do with the way my DVD recorder works.

You may have a setting incorrectly set on the input or output scarts...or it's incorrectly connected.

It's possible that the DVD does not have RGB pass through, so you are only getting PAL. Try connecting the DVD to the VCR scart on the Sky, and Sky directly to AV1 on the TV.

It's possible that the DVD does not have RGB pass through, so you are only getting PAL. Try connecting the DVD to the VCR scart on the Sky, and Sky directly to AV1 on the TV.

Agreed - if he's getting the RGB message only when the recorder is on then either the RGB signal isn't passing through the SCARTs on the recorder or the Sky box isn't set to output RGB.

A surprisingly large number of the lower-end DVD recorders don't support RGB on their input so the former is most likely.

Gav

There are lots of threads on AV Forums, Digital Spy etc about the Sony DVDR GX210 not having RGB pass through. I got a refund on mine from Comet.co.uk about a year ago.

I see the GX 210 now been replaced by the GX 120. I presume they have sorted this out on this model- does anyone know if they have?

b814sn1

Thanks for your ideas. b814sn1's comment suggests that my DVD recorder isn't as good as it could be (not impressed as it's a Sony and wasn't cheap!) - I'll try Bluevanman's solution when the wife's finished watching all her soaps!

Apologies to AFC69 for hijacking your thread. Hope someone can help.

Cheers
HB

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom