1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture cropped

Discussion in 'TVs' started by sceptic, Oct 15, 2002.

1. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Got a Tosh 2987DB TV (not widescreen).
    Is there a way of getting a picture that's not cropped or do I have to live with it?

Any help appreciated.

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you have digtal TV, then it's possible to set-up your STB so that it outputs 4:3 "letterbox" format, allowing you to view an uncropped image. If you only have analogue terrestrial, I'm afraid you'll have to live with the "compromise" 14:9 format.

Hope this helps. ;)

3. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi rct

Thanks for replying.

I have Sky. If I do as you suggest does it mean that I have wide black bands at the top and bottom of the picture?
    Does this also "letterbox" pictures that are broadcast in 16.9 format?

I wish I'd got a widescreen TV in the first place :mad:

Cheers

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, you'll have black bands with all widesceen broadcasts; how thick they are will depend on the ratio: e.g 2.35:1 films will give you thicker bands than 1.78:1 (16:9) or 1.85:1.

4:3 letterbox mode on a digibox will letterbox all 16:9 broadcasts, but should leave 4:3 ones as they are. Sometimes you'll find that broadcasters will incorrectly tag a 4:3 broadcast as 16:9 resulting in a tiny 4:3 image in the centre (a good example being football played abroad on ITV), for such broadcasts, you'll have to switch back to "letterbox off" to see the pic. full screen.

As a last point (I hope this won't be confusing) if your TV has a 16:9 "squash" mode where it takes an anamorphic 16:9 broadcast and uses the middle of the screen to display then using this in conjunction with 16:9 output on the digibox is a better solution as you'll take advantage of the full resolution available from 16:9 broadcasts. If your TV doesn't have such a mode, then do as previously advised.
    Look at it this way... it gives you an excuse to buy another new TV sooner rather than later :D

:)