1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

picture breakup with dvd ram

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andru, Jan 5, 2004.

1. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i have just bought a dvd ram disc for my jvc drm.The first time i recorded on it,it was fine.now all of a sudden when i record on it the picture breaks up ( i think you call it pixilation?).I have reformatted the disc but it is still there.Could it be a dirty disc?,if so how do you clean a dvd ram disc.

Thanks

2. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You obviously gave it a "dirty" look:laugh:

Which RAM was it?

I just noticed that it worked OK the first time, I think you may have just been lucky

I've had the JVC for a couple of weeks and I couldn't get it to recognise Datasafe RAM. After inserting it about 10 times after various "cleans" it loaded, I formated it, recorded on it. When I put the disc back in it wouldn't load.

Again after many "cleans" it loaded but the recording was very jumpy etc. I formated, recorded and the same. The disc won't work at all now.

I've also tried a "Mirror" RAM disc (borrowed) once formated in my machine it seems to work OK. One side had the same problems but seem to have gone since the last format.

I was getting totally p'ed off with RAM as it seem that the disc has to be 110% clean.

This is were all the Panasonic owner say you should have bought a Panasonic, but can try sticking something other than a RAM disc in a Panasonic and you probally get the same results.

Have you used many -RW?

I got some Bulkpaq -RW really cheap until I got them home and discovered they were 1X and crap. The PC burner rejected the first 4 I tried.

Put them in the JVC and formated them fine maybe the Datasafe discs are too good for the JVC but its hard to find somewhere that sell anything else.

I'm now thinking the JVC is very fussy about how clean the RAM discs are. Although I droped one of my -RW and it got scratched and dusty, tried it to see if it was OK and it works fine.

I use one of those mechanical CD disc cleaners, but not too such that it helped in the case of the Datasafe disc.

One thing to remeber if you record something important don't take the disc out before you watched it. Next time you put the disc back in it may not work!!!!

Jim

3. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    RAM in caddies does not get dirty! I would suspect that the JVC is just fussy about the type of media or is not particularly good with RAM period. I use cheap caddied RAM in my Panny E50 and have never had any kind problem. (In fact I've never had a dvd-r failure either!)

4. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering if it could be small dust particals attracted via static when put back in the case. I'll give the plastic case a clean and see.

Obviously, caddied discs would not have this problem.

BTW the internal drive is an LG (Hitachi) 4020 Ram burner and should be fine for writing to none caddied disc as used in a PC.

I suppose the Panasonic have Panasonic RAM writters in them.

Jim

5. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Panny burner too and don't get problems. I've read some reports of people having trouble with their LG 4040 PC drives on dvdrhelp.com. I really don't think it's a problem with dirty media - more likely incompatible media.

6. andru

andru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It was a datasafe media ram disc.It seems a pain to pay £6 for something that is totall rubish in this jvc.How did you clean yours are there any cleaning liquid solutions that are better.I chose a ram disc because when i was recording in vr mode on a dvd-rw i could not get them onto my computer for editing,even though i installed instantread and i tried with tmpg dvd author which is supposed to tead vr files.

7. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Never tried datasafe, but I believe they work in Panny machines. I use MediR (who?) from lynxdv at around the same price. Bigpockets sell ritek ram too, but you're best bet would be to try a big name ram disc - Panny or Maxell.

I definitely think it's down to the LG drive being over fussy about media.

8. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like the Datasafe are no good for the JVC then, they seem to work in Panasonics.

I record mainly in VR on -RW, tmpg reads them OK.

I've just put in the LG8016 (DVD-ROM) drive that reads all formats and it does. I discovered before removing the old Hitachi drive that it reads RAM but not -RW or +RW.

I didn't think you needed to install instantread for tmpg author. I thought it was only for reading UDF files via windows (pre XP).

Take care using FR mode between 155mins and 190 mins as it appears to create files that can be read by tmpg author. It says the resolution is 544x576 but this is only on RAM VR mode.

I tried VR mode on -RW and it was OK. I'm still looking into the resolutions of FR mode as it seem very different (better:) ) than the Panasonic models.

I hate to recomend something that I have been extremly disapointed with but those Bulkpaq (blue) 1X -RW seem to work OK in VR or Video mode. Although the Pioneer burner doesn't like them and the Tosh player mostly plays them.

The recomended (by JVC) are obviouly JVC Ram disc which I think are Maxell ones.

The problem is most people are now selling the Datasafe ones...

I used a wind-driven CD cleaner but it didn't make any difference with the Datasafe disc. I got one before everyone else had them on sale, being desperate for a RAM disc I paid 9 quid for it.

Jim

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,840
    The Datsasafe discs are rubbish. The cheap Mirror ones are better.

I use just Panasonic RAM (at £3 for non cartridge RAM) and a double sided cartridge RAM. They have all behaved as they should on my E50 recorder.

I don't have any problems with FR moe up to 180 minutes in TMPGEnc DVD Author.

I also don't have any problems with my LGF 4040B burner with these discs.

BTW, don't use Bulkpaq DVD-R discs, they are one of the worst makes around. Two of the best DVD-R's are JVC's and Maxells.

10. rogerdodge

rogerdodge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi nwgarratt

Where did you manage to get Pannie disc's for £3?

Cheers

Roger

11. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned: