Picture break up with 2910...again! :-(

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by John-D, Jul 14, 2005.

1. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, fellow forum readers.

Well, ive had this happening now on my Denon 2910 for a while, just not this bad. I complained to Denon about it, and they said "try a DVD cleaner" to clean it of any dust on the laser eye, which i did. everything seemed fine, until this.

PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENT.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    John

Attached Files:

2. Order Sixty Six

Order Sixty Six

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John D,

I don't know what it is but I'm getting it also on my 2910. I was watching Black Hawk Down the other night, a bright, well mastered DVD when I started getting a lot of blocking, big black blocks, then picture break up. It went away but I've had it since, I put it down to the processing of the signal at 720p but obviously not...hummm. Let me know if you find out what it is. :lease:

3. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this a lot. Is your picture it all of the time? I thought I was watching a scratched DVD but hadn't thought to check. I'm also interested to hear what it is, I might call Denon and ask, I hope that it isn't a fault in a batch of them?

4. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only use mine on component. That break up was on a PAL picture with no prog-scan. It does happen on NTSC with prog-scan, too.

I emailed Denon again two days ago, but they have yet to reply.

Will keep you posted.

5. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No its not, just happens now and then. I'm just worried incase its a laser problem. But it could be dirt on the disc's too. I'm at a loss here! :suicide:

Will let you all know if anything comes up.

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    It has been warm recently. How hot are your players getting?

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Happens on my brothers Denon all in one as well.

8. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Intersting stuff.

I had a little bit of that blocking on a dvd at the weekend (SWAT Superbit edition - fresh out of the box). It was confined to a black area in the frame. As the camera panned away, the bloacking went with it, so it only lasted 5 or 6 seconds.

I was quite surprised by this and it was the first run of my Panasonic Plasma out of the box. Since it was the first time i had seen this blocking (having had the 2910 for about 3 months), i assumed that it was a 'limitation' of plasma TVs :(

I wasn't very happy (although far less dramatic than the orignal posting) and it limited my excitement about the brand new TV, but reading this thread, it could well be the 2910 or the DVD and not the TV.

I run the HDMI link up with a Wireworld Ultraviolet 5 cable, at 720p.

Sorry - i can't add anything to solve the problem...

9. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My player doesn't get that hot. I give it plenty of space so the air can get to it. I just have mine on top of a rack, with nothing around it.

Ps. I emailed Denon again, yesterday. They still haven't replied back! :mad:

10. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You guys know what firmware you have?

11. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought mine from Creative Audio, with version 4 firmware, and it was doing it then. I then installed version 8 and it was fine, until a little showing of blocking on The Aviator, then that big blocking on The Machinist.

I wish Denon would reply. If they look thru these sites, get on with it Denon. :lease:

12. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Latest version is A if you want to check...

13. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, but some have been saying its not multi-region. So dunno whether to try it.

14. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In the UK it is. Check when you get it from your dealer that it is M.R not region 2.

15. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Silly question, but is it related to particular discs? I went through 2 2910s that were absolutely dreadful at handling anything other than absolutely pristine, unmarked, perfectly-pressed discs - otherwise I got sound and picture breakup all over the place. The transport on the 2910 seems fussy to the point of being faulty with anything less than perfect.

I upgraded to a 3910, which is *much* better with slightly less-than-perfect discs, and haven't had a problem since.

16. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Hey John-D

You will have seen other threads with a link to the latest firmware to the 2910.

Have you ran this and has it sorted out the probs ?

Update please, mate !!!

17. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was watching "Layer Cake" from new, out of the box and it was happening on that. Second time i looked at it, it didnt happen once. Its done it with a few disc's, only for it to not happen on a second viewing.

18. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my player with version 4 firmware, and it was doing it then. I then i installed version 8 and its still doing. The lastest version i hear, is that the one on the thread is not MR. So i wont install it till theres one out for MR. I have emailed Denon and the company where i bought it. They have both been very slow in replying. :mad:

19. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +401
    Okey - dokey, i'll watch out for your progress reports. Although i hope for everyone it reads "I installed v9 multi region and now everything is fine..."

Since mine was only 5 seconds of blocking and has only happened once, i'm going to sit tight unless it happens again. The next time i'm at my dealer i'll ask what version i have and ask for his views on all this. That is, unless i have any more, then i'll be striaght on the phone to them.

I'm quite disappointed with these reports. My 3 year old Pioneer didn't have this problem once and cost half as much back then. A year before that i had a £100 Alba from Argos and never any blocking....

20. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Sony 525 player, had it for five years and still have it. Not a single glitch with it.

I have the Version 9 MR update. Found it on the forum. For some reason it says Version A, but i know thats correct by other threads. I'm using it, so it works fine on all regions, inc RCE disc's.

Will let you know if the blocking starts up again.

Ps. Menu's seem to change faster with this new update.

21. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John D

Where can I find the Version 9 MR update frot he 2910?

22. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry for the late reply, Rob.

If you need a 6720-9 MR firmware, try this link:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...=154394&page=18
    and look for post 263. The DenonMR.zip has the -9 MR firmware for the 2910 (d21zavd.cfw)

Was from a post by Mbaxevan. Works a treat :thumbsup:

23. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John D,

I hope you are still on line, do you have any instructions for this. I have tried it with a set I found and it's totally F'd my player, I can now only use it via scart! HDMI is dead.

If it worked for you can you let me have the instructions to load it?

Rob

24. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the instructions off here. I dont use HDMI, only component.

25. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have yet another useless piece of info from the Guru's at Denon.

Dear Sir/Madam

You will need to get the latest firmware installed on to your player….your dealer will provide you with the firmware. Before you do this, it is worth you resetting the DVD player back to its factory settings. Follow the following instructions below:

1/ make sure there is no disc in the player and it is in stop mode

2/ hold and press the following 3 buttons at the same time on the player (not remote)

3/ forwards skip button…..play button…..&…open/close button.

4/ hold down for 5 sec until you see the front display light up.

If you have any further problems please do not hesitate to contact us

Best regards,

Product Support

GB 19/07/05

DENON UK Ltd

As if they think we are all thick. :suicide:

26. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John-D

Sorted. I've burnt another disc and this one works, Thanks.

Does any one have any idea what the benefots are of this version of the firmware, I think that the picture is darker, my wife thinks its sharper..hummm, can't see how that could be.

27. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad its up and running, Rob :smashin:

Yeah i thought the picture was darker, which i liked on prog-scan, as i thought it looked too bright on my TV.

Other than that, i have no idea what the updates are. Hopefully someone might tell us. Just hope that blocking stops.

I emailed denon again for some info. will paste what i wrote and the reply, below.

John.

Thanks for your reply.

I have installed version 9 or A, as it is now known, so will see if it happens again.

Could this be anything else, other than a firmware problem? I had version eight (8) installed too, from my dealer, also.

Some people on the AV-Forums thread are saying it is happening with their 2910’s, also. One person had two of these machines, and still no joy. Therefore, he paid more for the 3910. Does the 2910 have a problem?

Regards

THIS WAS THE REPLY.

Dear Sir

No, this is not a common problem with the DVD 2910 but you do get some problems especially when you multi-region players. It can possibly be a fault with the connectivity of the players but this is rare and we find firmware to be a common cause of compatibility issues regarding different manufacturers.

Best regards,

Product Support

DENON UK Ltd

28. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Oh, don't you just *love* the way Denon blame completely unrelated problems on multiregion firmware? Cos any fule kno that the firmware directly controls how the transport reads the data off the disc... Not.

But no, every time - "Did you multiregion it?"

"Yes, of course I did - everyone does, including your dealers, with multiregion firmware that you yourselves release."

"Ah - well that's your problem then. Shouldn't have done that."

AAARRGGHH! Multiregion firmware has *nothing* to do with this problem, and Denon know as much - it's just a convenient excuse for them. And it's not as if any Tom, Dick or Harry with a hex editor can work out which of the 2 million odd bytes in the firmware file they need to change to turn off the region lock by trial and error - the only possible source for the MR firmware files is from Denon themselves, and yet they deny all knowledge. It's really not helpful!

29. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I've had a 2910 since November and haven't had a single problem with it. Ok, every once in a while I might get a brief less than a second's worth of blocking but it's very rare. I upgraded the firmware from the forums about 4 months ago though I didn't really notice any difference (probably because I'm using RGB Scart).

30. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Small point whos to say Denon actually test multi region firmware? Also from the legal standing they can't produce multi region modifications, so they may not.