1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture bounce CRT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cutes6, Sep 17, 2001.

1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hello,<br />I have an Ellie which I love but I am getting what I would call picture bounce with fast moving scene changes on adverts only and its starting to annoy me.Is there anything I can do any help at all would be appreciated

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,141
    Is it related to big and sudden changes in the brightness of the picture?<br />Also have you read the review on the What Video & TV website?

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    This is interesting. From my recollection the Ellie survived the "bounce" test well according to Jon Thomson in the review.

Usually changes in geometry between bright and dark scenes are caused by poor power supply regulation. There isn't much you can do about it except adjust brightness/contrast to lower levels to less stress the P.S. However, if the dem unit passed those tests OK you have either a faulty unit or some other problem or the review was wrong. What exactly is happening to make you think nit has a "bounce" problem.

Gordon

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Contact Screens UK again I'm sure that they have a mod they can do to reduce this happening

Bouncing is the tempory blanking of the image as the power supply tries to ramp up and down quickly enough.

I have never seen this happen on a Sony, Electrohome or Barco digital CRT.

5. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Gordon

The picture almost scrolls up or down when there are big picture changes but only on adverts ! it never seems to do this when watching say a DVD and never does it when a programme is running.I have not tried changing the contrast levels etc but both are set as low as possible to avoid strain on the unit.I wondered if it had something to do with the way adverts are put together and I would not say that it was because the picture suddenly goes from dark to light. I am sorry for not being specific enough for you guys to help me much although I will have to fing out what this mod is that B4 mentioned. I have set the unit up using Video essentials and don't think it is any different since doing that.

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,141
    I was there when Jon T and Richard A did that bounce test and even with the contrast set way up high the Ellie was fine.<br />Very strange.

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Can't we call this something else. All I keep thinking of is the Anna K sports bra advert.

8. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    B4 What's wrong with that !! lol I find it very healthy and it's definately brightened my day up,everytime it happens I will be smiling to myself thinking of her I only hope my wife doesn't ask why i'm smiling

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I must get on with some work now.

<a href="http://www.kourni.clara.net/" target="_blank">Anna K's webb page</a>

10. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Nice link it's now in the favourates, what a coincidence that the main story was her handing over a new BMW as that's the business I look after I wonder if I could get her here to hand over another one,if she did then NO work would get done that day !!!

11. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick response as I'm in a hotel in Amsterdam before going to the Snell & Wilcox 'after IBC' party'

The Ellie did exhibit bounce when subjected to white/black alternating screen, but only when contrast was set way too high.

However I am a liitle confused as it seems that there is a vertical movement in the picture - which sounds much more like a poor syncronisation and may well be due to poor earth connections.

The 'bounce' we talk about with projectors is as Roland mentioned before being distratcted by Anna, i.e momentary loss of picture when large brightness changes occur

I'll try and think harder when I get home Wednesday and see if there is something more to suggest - but certainly contact Jim at Screens UK in the first instance

Hope this helps,

Richard Ansell<br />Snell & Wilcox

12. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Richard

I do agree it's as though the picture is trying to lock on to the signal and there is horizontal shift in the picture it doesn't disappear and then come back

13. James McHugh

James McHugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mike, Simple Solution. Go into your Main Menu,Down to Quality,then into Sub-Menu down to Service. Hold the button down for 5 seconds,you will then see a list one of which is called "White Peak",reduce this from 63 dowwn to 25-30 this will correct the problem. Good luck.

Jim. Screens uK

14. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Jim

It's great to hear from you and I hope you are well .I will give that a go and fingers crossed<br />Thanks again