Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Picture and sound prob

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wiggy001, Jun 17, 2003.

1. wiggy001

wiggy001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a newbie at all this and couldn't find anything identical to my to problems by searching, so hopefully someone here can can up with an answer or two.

Just added an Sony DVP-NS305 dvd player and HT-SL5 receiver/speaker setup to my existing KV-28FS TV, Sony Videa (can't remember the model, nothing flash) and Sky box.

I think I've rigged it all up properly (obviously not though!) but have the following two problems:

1. When watching Sky, all of my sound is coming through the front-right speaker, regardless of surround mode. However, the sound is fine in test mode, from my video and DVD player! Have a sneaking suspicion that the ancient phonos between my receiver and TV aren't helping but, as I have no phonos connected directly to the video, surely the video sound output is still running via the TV? There is no difference (from what I remember) if I connect the phonos from the receiver directly to my Sky box.

2. Sky box and DVD are connected to my TV's AV1 (which doubles up as the only RGB socket I have) via and RGB compatible switcher. Picture on both comes through ok when the TV is set to AV1, but I have no picture (black screen, sound only) when I switch the TV to RGB. RGB for Sky used to work before I connected the DVD but now with just the Sky connected, I'm still unable to get my RGB picture back! I seem to remember having this loss of picture before (no DVD etc connected) but can't for the life of me remember what i did to sort it!

Any pointers or things to check would be much appreciated.

Thanks...

2. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only thing that occurs to me on the RGB thing, is that RGB requires a fully wired scart, so are your leads all fully wired, and is the switch box RGB compatible?

Sound thing sounds bad. Since the sound from your VCR is o.k. the phonos can't be to blame I guess. Presumably sound from your satellite is going through the switch-box, I would try it without the switch box, and also with the phonos direct from the sat to the receiver. If that doesn't work then I guess the problem's with the sky box - is the sound output set to stereo (mind you even mono should come out both sides at least).

3. wiggy001

wiggy001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. The scarts are all (or should be!) fully wired, but I will have a play as soon as I get time, as I had RGB previously. WIll try with the previous scart to see if that helps. I've taken the switch box out of the equation to test that and I still get the same result, but again that should allow for RGB.

I will try your suggestions regarding the sound, and also check that I can still get standard pro-logic from Sky via my TV.

On that note, my TV is Pro-Logic. Is there any issue with setting the TV sound mode to standard Nicam stereo and muting the front two speakers, leaving the TV's rear and centre speakers attached? As no sound should be passing to them, I assume there is no problem?

Thanks again for your reply.

4. wiggy001

wiggy001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update, being an IT techie I'm used to switching everything off and starting again, so that's what I did! Re-ran all the cabling and everything is looking and sounding lovely now! Only problem is I have no idea what was to blame, but suspect iffy connections from my Sky box... especially as my TV's ProLogic wasn't funtioning through Sky either!

5. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear it!