Question Picture and audio break up when using HDR

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by p5t5r85nry, Aug 11, 2018.

1. p5t5r85nry

p5t5r85nry
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I use the HDR settings with my Apple TV 4k the picture and audio break up. My Panasonic
    LED TV VIERA TH-50DX740U supports HDR. I have purchased the fastest/newest HDMi cables available. When I turn HDR on I definitely notice the Dynamic range is increased. Whites are far brighter and whiter and contrast is increased. However the picture and audio intermittently break up. As I have the Apple TV going through my receiver, I am wondering if the Receiver does not support HDR? The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-830-K. Could it be the receiver? Any other suggestions. I use wi-fi for the Apple TV. I am getting download speeds in excess of 200 Mbps at the Apple TV and over 400 Mbps at my computer hardwired with the CAT6 cable, so I believe my internet speed is not the problem. Apple say that you only need 25 Mbps.

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +961
    Try the Apple direct to the TV hdmi input rather than via the AVR...

If the problem disappears you know it's to do with the AVR.

If it continues... it's due to something else.

Some LCD panels (used to) emit RF in variable ways (depending on display mode) that could cause crosstalk interference into aerial systems via connected cables. Similar hdmi-aerial interference is commonly found. Something similar could be happening here, maybe giving your wi-fi grief, but only in the hdr data rate mode?

3. p5t5r85nry

p5t5r85nry
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    I took a look at the support page for the Pioneer VSX-830-K and it makes no mention of HDR, in the firmware update change logs it mentions they patched in HDR support and that's it, no details.

The last firmware update was released in 2016 as well, on the off chance your receiver is not up to date do update to that last version.

On the Pioneer as explained on page 89 of the manual change the video output mode to 4K/60P 4:2:0

Then on the AppleTV change the settings to
    Format = 4K SDR
    HDMI Output = YCbCr
    Chroma = 4:2:0
    Match Content = Range & Frame Rate (it will auto switch to HDR10)

The YCC 4:2:0 output may be more compatible with whatever way they went about patching in HDR10 support on the Pioneer receiver.