Picture: Am I being too critical?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by MartinH32, Mar 10, 2006.

1. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    Ok,
    I have Sky+ and now I have installed two sweet spot cards in a HTPC in a bid to get rid of my Sky+ system.

The only problem I am finding is the picture does not tend to be as smooth as the sky picture on my tv. I do not think it is down to my HTPC as I have powerstrip running and 50hz display (or at least I think I do - how can I check in MCE)?

Is the picture slightly worse on freeview?

2. paulpenny

paulpenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    By default MCE will automatically switch to 60hz in full screen even if powerstrip is set to 50hz.

You need to do a registry hack to disable this or use MCE Customizer http://www.mcedev.com/Default.aspx

Hope this helps

Paul

3. boez

boez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    In my experience this is not the case. I run powerstrip to set my gfx card output to 50hz (and 60hz or 48hz depending upon source material fps) and it stays that way even in fullscreen MCE. I check this using the setup menu on the plasma (a Panny PWD8) which indicates the frequency of the input. It correctly shows 48, 50 or 60hz as per the setup I've chosen.

I've not made any mods to the reg.

@MartinH

Edit : just noticed this post : http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314633. See post about using Dxdiag from tomatoface.

HTH
    Boez

4. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a bit confused about this refresh issue. I have a PJ with a refresh rate of 60hz so dose it not follow that i would get a better picture if the MCE refresh is the same as the PJ's in the same way as screen resolutions. Dose MCE default to 60hz with full screen DVD as well?
    I am asking because Sky connected direct to PJ via RGB scart runs smother than DVD's from MCE via DVI.
    Also how do you hack the registry?

Cheers

Andy

5. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    Thanks for all your replys. I think it is me just being critical as I have downloaded from mcedev and applied, I also ran the registry hack.
    funny thing is, dxdiag still reports the refresh at 60Hz. I presume powerstrip overwrites this.

6. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    It is indeed & the larger your TV the more you will notice it. The average bit rate of channels on DVB-T (Freeview) is less than half that on Sky Digital DVB-S.

7. MartinH32

MartinH32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    Well I have sorted this now. I had FFDshow settings for hardwre acceleration unticked. Put a tick in the box and it is smooth as anything!:thumbsup: