1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pics of my projector Tosh MT7 up

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ROne, Dec 6, 2001.

1. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    They're a bit rough and ready (didn't use a tripod but they will give you an idea of what you get), so there is some camera shake.

The digital camera tended to err on the side of blue and overexpose making some shots a little hot.

Completely untouched pictures.

About 130K on the website

http://www.rone.go-plus.net/ToshMT7.htm

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Hi R0ne

Your pics look very impressive to me. Why are u not using 75/72Hz refresh rates? Are u still getting tearing, even with the transcoder and component in on the PJ? Does using the transcoder have a better picture than plain old RGB out of the PC because you have a 16:9 mode with component in? Where did u get the transcoder? What power transformer are you using for the transcoder? How are you able to get 720p when the PJ doesn't support it? What is the name of the transcoder? Do you think that it will rain tomorrow? And finally, what did you have for breakfast this morning?

I think that's about it

Thanks

Conor

3. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Okay comer here I go.

I am not using 72h/75hz because I am using the HDTV resolution in on the projector (component) which is fixed at 60hz H and 45hz vertical. Suprisingly the tosh won't take native RGB in at this resolution and if it did it would tear through the RGB. No tearing at with the YUV input.

So I have to go in component HDTV and use the key digital transcoder which I got from a america for £150 to convert the signal from RGB to YUV. This works really well, although the picture is a little overscanned so I use YXY to scalet the picture down (so in theory I am not get perfect 1-1 pixel mapping but its the best I can do).

I got the transcoder from digital connection website. The transformer I was really lucky with because the ISCAN pros transformer is exactly the same brand and same voltage (bar the american 110v input) and worked a treat. I will be buying one from CPC though at about £18.

The projector does support 720p natively, hence what I've done.

it will probably rain tommorow.

I had frosties for breaksfast.

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks R0ne

Just a few more questions

How does the picture compare to using RGB straight in from the PC? Do you have any judder now?

As u may know I am using a PC with the MT3 and I am very pleased with the progressive picture that I am getting from the PC but I have rathering annoying judder and if I change the refresh rate I get tearing. I am almost at the point of settling with this but this transcoder that you have may solve the last of my problems. The MT3 only supports 480p, will the transcoder support this. Perhaps you could give me a few more details regarding the transformer. I'm not familiar with CPC.

Yes you were right about the rain

Watch those frosties they are about 99.9% suggar

Thanks again

Conor

5. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well comer the picture is pretty much as good as through the RGB, obviously there will be some loss going through the transcoder but not that much.

With regards to the power supply, its 6v 2amp postive centre pin. I am still using the ISCAN power supply and haven't ordered on from CPC yet but I will get you the catalogue details.

The other exciting news which may or may not be of use to you, is someone from australia has emailed me and claims his has got a firmware upgrade for the tosh mt-7 to make it PAL progressive. How he's laid his hands on it (it sounds official) i don't know but he is supposed to be getting a firmware upgrade at the weeked.

This is potentially the news that we have been waiting for as we may not have to bin our ISCANS!

6. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Tyrone.
    I'm glad some one else is trying to post some screen shots!.

I don't think people realise how hard it is to get what you are actually seeing on screen etc.

You state in your posts the camera is adding some blue, but i bet someone still posts saying Shrek looks too greeny-blue!.

In my gladiator shots i stated the detail in the first hand shot wasn't showing, so the next two shots were zoomed in to show the detail was in fact there. But there was still comments that the first hand shot looked over exposed and lacked detail!.

I'm going to have one "last" try at some new screen shots, after that i will not bother again!.

I will use 400 film speed-a tripod-grace of god!

I feel i have dragged every ounce of detail out of the picture using the HTPC, with the Quadscan not far behind!.

So please try to post some more, as a thousand words do not make up for a single picture!(or something like that):D

7. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I know what you mean mate, its been particularly bad on the AVS forums with several people stating something is too green or to bright, someone even said they could see posterization. I mean for christs sakes its a J P E G !!!!.

I read your post and looked at your pictures (nice), and it is very clear that you can't emulate the exact projector image. VERY CLEAR.

But people still post, absolute morons. Its really wound me up. I thought these sort of forums contained technical people, people who would understand, but no.

Thing is with my projector I have been fighting a losing battle with not many people owning it so they're not interested.

I even had one guy say my pictures should look better than that!

Anway my try 35mm next, as I did the deed with digital, or may not even bother.

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    People must keep trying to post good screen shots.

This helps people deciding what projector to go for, and what to expect etc.

I looked back at my old projectors pictures, and realised how much detail i had lost in the darker parts of some scenes.
    This wasn't even the projectors fault as such. I had increased the contrast to far and turned down the brightness in an attempt to gain more perceived contrast. I was also using the wrong colour temperature setting, as i thought the picure looked brighter.

If i had have good screen shots to go off, i may have been able to setup my PJ better etc.

Good luck with the next batch!.;)

9. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I'll definitely be taking lots more screenshots. When I was looking a year ago it was these that convinced me that HCPC could be great.

I was pretty happy with the one I took for my site .
    It was taken with a Nikon Digital camera and I just posted the high quality jpeg '1600x1200 fine' as it came out of the camera (no photoshop!).
    I used a tripod, had the dvd on pause and just used the automatic settings with the flash switched off.

I'm going to take some before and after shots when Gordon comes to do the second tweak.

10. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I even had one guy say my pictures should look better than that!

Anway my try 35mm next, as I did the deed with digital, or may not even bother.

ROne whats the old saying "there's one in every crowd" or "its the noisy wheel that gets oiled! " what's the bet there are more people appreciate your photos than those that dont... its just they enjoy them instead of bitching so dont let those spoil it for others
    regards Laurie:mad: