1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pics of my build

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by John Langton, Sep 19, 2005.

1. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi just a few pics of my work in progress. Inspired by work on this forum so cheers

John

Attached Files:

• 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      Size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      Size:
      51.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      Size:
      53 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      Size:
      39.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Good luck John :smashin:

3. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    :smashin:
    Keep the pics coming mate.

Johnny.

4. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be wall mounting my plasma soon - you're pics look good.

One question though, why build a false wall when you can chase the cables in? Honest question as I'm planning on doing the latter but if a false wall has some other benefits then I could go for that

Whichever option though you can't beat a wall mounted plasma that doesn't show cables :clap:

5. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main reason for me building the false wall isnt to hide the cables it is so the silver frame of the plasma sits flush with the wall and only protrudes a few centimeters. The plasma is actually bolted to the main wall but comes out a good few inches ( i think you can make out this from the pics) and I wanted it to sit flush. It just didnt feel like it was stuck on the wall it was more like it was overhanging off the wall which I didnt like. At least now with the false wall the back of the plasma will be hidden and just the screen showing. Also Im not to keen on channeling cables inside plaster. Ive been informed (may be wrong) that the plaster eats away at cables over years. Will keep you updates as I progress

John

6. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cool, given your requirements I now see why you have the false wall - in your last point you are spot on concrete & plaster eat away at cables so you have to ensure you put metal capping over the top of them

I'll be posting pics of my project in a couple of weeks time once I move into my house - keep us updated on your project, best of luck m8 :)

7. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the kind words. Looking forward to getting it finished but most of all im looking forward to getting rid of the manky green carpet that was left when we bought the house :) Not sure if it wil be a tiled floor or wooden

John

8. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just another quick update hoping to get it covered this weekend

Attached Files:

9. 0B1-1

0B1-1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dude, please allow some ventilation for your plasma, you need to allow the hot air to escape the panel somewhere. :smashin:

10. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there wont be a lid on the unit the heat will just be able to rise out from the top. Im lucky that Ive built it high enough for people not to notice there isnt a top on it

Cheers anyway

John

11. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    keep the pics coming mate, its looking good so far :thumbsup:

12. MattMcSpirit

MattMcSpirit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Im really interested in getting a plasma in the future, and the thought of a nice flush finish is appealing, although, what happens if your plasma develops a fault John? How would you remove it, or are you using one of those brackets which extends from the wall?

13. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi matt Im designing it so it can be removed with just a few screws removed. The whole frame you see now is only held on by 4 screws into the wall. I am having to think how to put the boards up whether it will plaster board or wood just painted. I am after a good finish though Im not just going to throw anything up. Then I have to think how Im going to attach it. I have an idea that a section of it (probably beneath the plasma) will be fixed by magnets so I can remove it when I want and to get to the bottom of the plasma. Ill keep yall updated as I progress. Any ideas fell free to sugest guys

14. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    an extendable wall bracket would work a treat - though just need to ensure cables don't pop out during the extending bit !

15. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had too much messing around bolting it to the wall already so Im just going to leave it as is and work my way round it to find a solution

John

16. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi john,just a tip I learnt with regards to the venting/cooling.If possible try and and put some flush fiting vents or something at floor level.this will allow for a circulation of air, cold in through the bottom/warm out the top.I had a fridge freezer bulit into a new kitchen and the lack of circulating air caused it to breakdown.

looks great though, look forward to seeing the completed room..

cheers alex :smashin:

17. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi vulcan and thanks for the tip. The unit you see getting built will be raised of the floor about an inch on some feet. The components inside sit on the struts going along it happilly. I was going to put a board down for them to sit on but instead I will not be putting a bottom on the unit. This will allow air to vent up into the false wall as the false wall itself will only go down as far as to were it meets the cabinet.

John

18. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    update now i just have to think of what material Im going to cover it up with. I dont really want to use plaster board as its too messy and the plasma is in a fixed position. I am thinking some kind of board and then paint it. Top of the cabinet will be made from a kitchen worktop. Only problem is this thing is 310cm long and the standard length sold is only 240cm :oops: Any suggestions welcome guys

John

Attached Files:

19. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    update

Attached Files:

20. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    better lighting and update

Attached Files:

21. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think wood may look out of place mate - IMHO you need to plaster it, unless someone else has another idea - however if you are not too precious about the finish (down to individual choice I guess) go for wood...

....not too late to wall mount the beast and channel the cables in, a person of your talents would have that done in a day ;)

22. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi NAC thanks for the compliment. I agree with you and I do want a good finish. I would prefer to go plaster but at this stage with the plasma fixed I dont want any mess. I may call a plasterer out and see what he says he can do and if it will be messy. I have come this far that I dont want to have to start again channeling into the wall I am sick to death of dusting :) I had to get the ceilings skimmed and sanded even before I started this so no more sanding for me!

John

23. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,691
    i know someone who made these "panels" oof stapled material over a thin foam over mdf, he had the main unit painted light brown and used a dark brown velvet material ( with out the shine) to cover the panels. i have not done it justice with my lame description but it looked amazing, really nice!!

24. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    John,

Looking good.

You are never going to avoid mess if you get it plastered, not matter what a plasterer tells you :lesson: :D

If you really don't want to remove the panel, how about (thin) MDF? It has no grain so will take paint well. It will obviously require some filing and sanding so I would just wrap the panel to protect it. :thumbsup:

BTW - I would beef up that floor unit with some fillets, its going to be just the right height for sitting on!

25. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys I also had the idea of using boards and then wallpapering it but think that wouldnt look so good. When I say wall paper I meant normal flat wallpaper to cover the joins and then paint the lot a Matt White.

Shahedz can you explain your description better or even beter get a picture for me please as you could be onto something if only I could understand what your trying to describe

John

26. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that could be an idea i guess - use thin piece of wood. hang lining paper onto it (normally used to overcome any surface differences in older houses) and then normal paper over the top of that and paint it to match the rest of the room

i envy your diy skills - at school i couldn't even cut through wood in a straight line :(

27. dickst3

dickst3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thats why I suggested MDF. It has no grain and would not require covering in lining paper.

28. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Dickst3 but I will have to cover it because the surround will have to be made from 2 pieces of wood minimum so I will have to hide at least 2 joins

John

29. Tracy Whitelaw

Tracy Whitelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's looking very nice.
    I'm having some home cinema woes at the moment with my projector playing up and I'm thinking of getting a plasma when I can afford to.

30. sijones

sijones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Regarding the ventilation on this plasma. The Fujitsu 10 series plasmas run quite hot. With your installation it is highly likely that the fans in the plasma will run at their highest speed and will therefore be quite noisy.

Regards,

Steve