1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pics of Barco800 and also tube burn

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
  2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Gordon, It worked ok for me.

Tim

3. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hey Gordon,

I thought I was the only one who ever put a projector behind a wall. In my last home I had my old 320 in a cupboard under the stairs, shining through a hole into the lounge. It worked very well, just very difficult to set up being manual convergence!

Regards Rob.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I can imagine it must have been....er.....difficult. Everything else I've tried to fit either goes in but you can't open the lid, or is just impossible to get past central heating boiler...so why bother. Then there's the trick of adjusting focus when you're in a cupboard....Now that I think on it, what was I on?

I built a table over the floor mount anyway so it works well for putting drinks and food on. There's a sofa off to the side for relaxing on anyway.

Gordon

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    wow - that 800 is massive!
    might put me off - one of the reasons I'm getting rid of the normal tv is because I find it too imposing.

helpful photos Gordon, thanks
    Alex

6. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Gordon,

Not as difficult as you would think. The hole was high enough to get my arm through to make adjustments. I had to take off the cover as there was not enough room inside to lift it up. I could simply pull it out from the rear hinges and pass it through the hole to get it on and off. Not the ideal situation, but it worked well. A picture would hang over the hole when not in use. A high Wife acceptance and security factor, and it was the only way I could get the throw I needed.

Regards Rob.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    It's an old industrial design which doens't help. The 808 look much more sleak, even although it's pretty huge too.

Sony's Nec's and Seleco's of this vintage seem to come in more acceptable designs of cases which often hide or disguise the physical size of the units. Don't give up on CRT cause a Barco 800 looks big!

Gordon

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Not for me it didn't! She who must be obeyed took an immediate dislike such was the 800s offensiveness.

Oh misery misery misery....

9. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Before I took my wife to Stereo Stereo I warned her that there would be a big Sony CRT projector in the line-up. When we arrived she took one look at the Sony VW10 and said "Yes, that Sony CRT is pretty big.". "Er, no" says Gordon "the CRT is inside the 'table' underneath". Scratch any hope of getting anything much bigger than a Sanyo VLP30 into the living room!

Cheers,
    Liam

10. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    I don't think I could give up now that I've seen the differences. Not with current LCD/DLPs anyway.

It certainly doesn't sound as though the new sony or sanyo are going to change my mind (although I am open to pursuasion) plus there's the fact that if you're trying to do it on a budget - second hand crt really does seem the best route.

That 800 was massive, though :)

Cheers
    Alex

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    Totally agree I'm now reduced to looking at parting with the best part of 5grand for something that won't give as good results as a cheaper graphics 808 all because the lady hates big grey boxes.

Anyone suggest anything other than a nice neat LCD/DLP job and I'm not talking divorce!

12. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Lo All,

Just writing to say that in real life the Barco 800 is even bigger than it looks in the pictures!! (I bought this very one off Gordon the other month) But when I witnessed the picture the size just didn't matter :) I just hope my ceiling holds when it goes up there :eek:

Cheers

Dave

P.S. That sure was a long trip Gordon :D

13. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gordon that burn on the blue tube you say is slightand does not show up in the image - does it show on a white screen?
    I was telling before that my BG808s had a burn on blue only visible by removing the lense but it did show on the white as the edges on the screen were much whiter than the centre- the burn on my old tube is comparable to that on yours.

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Jeff:

The burn in the picture actually looks worse than it is in realife. I actually tried to take photo's of it straight on just looking at the blue tube but you couln't see it on the pics. For some reason the bad out of focus pic I was taking of the green tube showed it up. As folk always ask what it looks like I thought this was an opportunity to show them.

Can it be seen on an all white field. Well, not on the shops 7ft wide Stewart screen it can't. When the photo's were being taken I was just putting it back together after opening up and measuring the G2 voltages and re-setting them correctly. Then I did the greyscale thing with grey fields from 20 -100ire. You could not see any evidence of the burn. It would be obvious I think in our application as I'm using maximum horizontal size to try and get as much light out of the thing as poss.....

So, there's the story. There's more to it as well...like what was I doing with the green tube etc....I want to keep that info for chat at the Event.

I expect the 1251 will be used at the event in some capacity.

Gordon