Pics from Lacock Weekend

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Reaction score
So i posted a week ago that i was going to meet some other wet plate collodion photographers for a two day meet up at Lacock Abbey in Wiltshire. Here are a few pictures for you from the day.

Although i enjoy looking at many types and styles of photograph I do not enjoy taking some styles of photographs. So when faced with an historic national trust building that we were not allowed to actually photograph inside I struggled a little to get creative at first. Also, i don't like taking the same picture that everyone else takes. So as everyone and their dog was taking pictures of the outside of the building i decided to go for a walk. I came across the old 15th century woodshed in a private area round the back and decided to shoot it. My initial composition was ok but it wasn't what i had in my head so i decided what was needed was the addition of another element. Me. So in this image i took lens cap off, dove in to the scene, lay still for 2 minutes, then put lens cap back on.

18x24cm tintype plate. 2 min exposure, f32 with my Ukranian 300mm Zeis Tessar copy lens
20738091025_5956185728_c.jpg

After shooting this i went for a long walk in the rest of the fields and grounds around the building and i managed to find a way down the side of river bank to see a really amazing fallen tree over the river. So i went and got my big 10"x12" camera to shoot it. This was the first composition. You can see the mark at bottom of the plate. Annoyingly this appeared after it had dried. It was my only plate to suffer this but many other folk had similar issues. It's salts from the tap water at the Abbey. Don't know why it just affected this plate but my others stayed clean.

20838861216_fb8aa6e11b_c.jpg

Anyway, i moved around a bit to try to get another perspective on this place. Annoyingly as i was taking this someone found me and within about five minutes i was surrounded by tripods and cameras.....

20728914212_bbf1008a24_c.jpg

I have one more shot from this location, taken the next day. I'll stick it up later

Very nice, love the 'dead body' creeping into the frame, very macabre.

Great photo's and video. There must be a lot of pleasure in watching your work "develop".

It is very satisfying seeing a large, super high resolution, physical image appear in front of your eyes. The whole process really makes you just stop and think about what you are doing. I took, i think, 7 or 8 images both days...of those three are what i class as good and 13 are what my friends class as good....when i shoot with my phone or with my old Canon DSLR i'd take 100+ in a day at times and would struggle for same results and of course only a handful ever got printed out and even when they do they do not have the physicality of the final objects these are.

Er what's with the dead body? lol

love the shots, bet you wish you took it in sept now :p

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom