Pics and info on Samsung UE40ES6800

quick update, as I know I posted a review. The ES6800 is now back in the shop (the shop agreed that the clouding and banding on it were terrible). I didn't want to risk another - it seems there are more bad than good panels in this model, so I trumped up the extra and went for the 55" LG LM860V (see my other posts for my review of that) - I'm utterly smitten!

I've had the 55ES6800 now for a few days, and thought I'd share my views on it:

_________________ message from samsung re: clouding __________________________
Thank you for contacting Samsung.
I am sorry to hear of these inssues you are having with your TV.
In regards to the 'clouding' on dark images, it sounds as though the TV
is experiencing a little backlight bleed.
Backlight bleeding (or leakage) is a common characteristic of LED
televisions due to the nature of the technology used to project the
image, therefore this is NOT considered a fault. Backlight bleed may be
particularly prominent in the four corners of the screen, and / or
around the borders where the screen meets the bezel, and may be
particularly noticeable when viewing dark scenes or viewing in a dark
environment.
Here are steps you can take to reduce the effects of backlight bleed:
- Use the remote control to enter Menu > Picture Settings > Backlight,
to turn it down (the recommended setting is 4).
- Additional settings that are recommended to reduce the effect of
backlight bleed, are enabling MOVIE mode and disabling GAME mode.
- You can also try adjusting the BLACK TONE, DYNAMIC CONTRAST and COLOUR
TONE settings until you find settings that best suit your preferences.
- If the content is being viewed from an external device (eg; DVD or
BluRay player, home theatre system) via HDMI lead, you can also adjust
the HDMI BLACK LEVEL setting via the same menu.

LoL I swear that Samsung 1st line support are under strict orders to tell you that the issue that you are experiencing on your TV... whatever it is... is in fact quite normal.

An alternate way of stopping backlight bleeding is to unplug your television !

John Lewis have agreed to pm this tv 40" to £779 with 1 pair of 3d glasses.

Are there many apps available for it?

I read someone links there phone up as a wireless keyboard for theirs does the iphone support this?

I love the es8000 but too expensive.

Sorry if this has been answered but when people reffer to tv's as being "full 3D" what does this means and does this samsung have "full 3D"?

Im looking at the 55 inch of this model, and wanna know how the HD quality is and the 3d is ? as i dont need the features of voice and gesture and camera of the series 7 and 8 and its much cheaper then them,

how would it compare to them on the hd picture and 3d ?

Thanks

Can someone please advise if the 3D on this TV is better or worse than the ones in the cinema?

Just saw Madagascar 3 in 3D in the cinema and thought it was great. Perhaps getting an idea between cinema and ES6800 3D will be nice.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Anyone know the differences between this set and the 6710 model?
Jl and other sites state identical spec, but somehow I doubt that is the case.

To answer my own questions, the 6710 is bbq ready for european networks (bbsomething anyway) but the 6800 had a dual processor and an 8 day history aparently.
Else they appear identical, the 6800 in silver the 6710 in white.

Samsung are getting silly, so many models about and the retailers dont even tell the customers what is the difference. Looked on John Lewis and they have UE40ES6900 in now.

So stupid.

Anyone tried to stream very large MKVs? (35GB+ files)

Can someone please advise if the 3D on this TV is better or worse than the ones in the cinema?

Just saw Madagascar 3 in 3D in the cinema and thought it was great. Perhaps getting an idea between cinema and ES6800 3D will be nice.

Thanks.

In addition to my above question, can someone please confirm if this set is 120 hz or 240 hz (native)? Samsung lists the Clear Motion Rate as 500 Hz but I know this is a marketing gimmick.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if i can really say if 3d is better, but i can assure that it is not worse :)

i watched Lion king 3d yesterday and i have to say that that just might be my new favorite 3d movie. It's awsome :)

also i am playing all ps3 (that support 3d) in 3d and have no plans on going back to regular. As an example i also play starcraft 2 on 3d because it looks amazing.

now i might sound like a 3d freak, but i do really like it. No crossfading or any other bugs. Much better experience than with my old sony 3d tv.

regarding the 120 or 240 i'm not quite sure since i do not know where to look. And it's 400 rate not 500 :)

Krobar - You can't stream MKV, at least not with allshare. Not supported.

lombard1 - Regarding HD and 3D quality, as i said - watched lion king in fullHd and 3D with pure pleasure :)

Hello, could someone tell me what this tv is like with computer connected via hdmi mainly for watching movies? Thanks

quite awesome i guess :) i'm actually writing this reply on the tv now :)

but i do recommend connecting at least som basic 2-speakers and subwoofer to the tv since the t sound isn't that great.

John Lewis have agreed to pm this tv 40" to £779 with 1 pair of 3d glasses.

Are there many apps available for it?

I read someone links there phone up as a wireless keyboard for theirs does the iphone support this?

I love the es8000 but too expensive.

How did you do that ? did you use the online form ? which website or shop did you compare it too ?

Thanks

I'm having some issues regarding the aspect ratio (i.e vertical black bars).

I am playing content via HDMI cable but there are black vertical bars showing. Admittedly, the broadcast is SD, however, I am using the 16:9 setting on my TV but still get the black vertical bars. Even If I play around with the settings in screen adjustment, the aspect ratio changes but the vertical black bars remain where they are (even when choosing 16:9 or screen fit).

The screen "fills up" fine during BluRay/Smart Hub & HD content.

Everything was fine when I bought the TV (i.e. screen would "stretch" to remove the bars), the only tweak I did was doing some calibration.

Can anyone help me out on how to get rid of the black vertical bars when displaying SD content?

P.S. the screen stretched fine in my old Samsung TV.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Does the dual core processor mean I can watch say Formula 1 and also have the F1.com timing screen showing at the same time?

Can a TV picture and net content be viewed together?

tom

I'm having some issues regarding the aspect ratio (i.e vertical black bars).

I am playing content via HDMI cable but there are black vertical bars showing. Admittedly, the broadcast is SD, however, I am using the 16:9 setting on my TV but still get the black vertical bars. Even If I play around with the settings in screen adjustment, the aspect ratio changes but the vertical black bars remain where they are (even when choosing 16:9 or screen fit).

The screen "fills up" fine during BluRay/Smart Hub & HD content.

Everything was fine when I bought the TV (i.e. screen would "stretch" to remove the bars), the only tweak I did was doing some calibration.

Can anyone help me out on how to get rid of the black vertical bars when displaying SD content?

P.S. the screen stretched fine in my old Samsung TV.

Thanks.

Anyone? It appears that the TV fills the screen with composite connection but doesnt with HDMI (unless source is in HD).

Please can someone advise how I can get the screen to fill with HDMI?

Anyone have the sky remote code for this model please, I have version 9 sky remote?

I agree with the samsung apps but I think the browser is terrific ! I played 1080p you tube videos from the browser and they all played wonderfully !! I suggest you plug in a wireless usb mouse and then try and surf. I currently use my mouse to surf and my android phone to type web address etc ! As per my needs it is good enough !

What calibration settings did you set?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom