Pico G2, the Most Powerful Lightweight Headset Yet.

Atmos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pico G2 uses the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 835 XR platform with 4+64GB of memory with up to 256GB of micro-SD card expansion, and the Snapdragon™ 835 ensures a smooth experience by optimizing processing core and workload. At the same time, The Pico G2 on the Snapdragon 835™ supports strong connectivity, the most advanced flash memory technologies, and shortens loading time of experiences, allowing you to enjoy more realistic scenes without dropping frames or lagging.

The Pico G2 is equipped with two fast response LCD screens with 3K binocular resolution, a 75Hz refresh rate, and a 101° frame of view (FOV) to improve overall lens clarity while maintaining a large field of view. The front of the headset also features a monocular RGB camera which allows for "pass-through" views into the space in front of you and hand gesture inputs for menu selections.

The New Generation of VR is Here. Introducing the All-in-One Pico G2, the Most Powerful Lightweight Headset Yet.

What vr games store does this use?

Edit ignore it uses viveport as in the article that is good then .plenty of games.

What vr games store does this use?

Edit ignore it uses viveport as in the article that is good then .plenty of games.

But how many of those games are going to be any good? Haven't the majority of Vive owners (at least going by anecdotal evidence from the Vive sub-Reddit these last 6 months or so) given up on VivePort because it's a bit pants?

So I have a few games on viveport. It's not a terrible store front by any stretch.... It's just not steam (or better yet for me oculus home)... However given steam is not a platform for mobile vr hopefully viveport will find a niche there .
Stiff competition tho.

IF oculus opened their doors to officially support other non oculus hmds I think they could clean up in the vr segment and become like steam is for flat screen games.... But oculus are not interested in that right now shame really.

Last edited:
Well Oculus are, Valve aren't, for obvious reasons. If the WVR headsets had top notch tracking there's no doubt in my mind that Oculus would have given them access to the Oculus Store by extending the Oculus SDK.

They might do the same with the Pimax too if Pimax don't fudge things up and if there's nothing in the licencing agreement with Valve preventing them from cooperating with Oculus to extend the SDK to cover the headset.

Palmer Luckey a while back blamed Valve for the Vive not being included in a possible extended SDK because they didn't give 'permission' to do so.

I suspect there's something in the licence agreement that's preventing SteamVR headset manufacturers from getting native access to the Oculus Store. If I were Valve I'd certainly put a big roadblock there somewhere to protect the dominance of my store.

It’s going to be interesting to see just how the Standalone market develops. Not only do we see Vive Focus and Pico supporting Vive Wave but we also have Google Daydream there and Sony and Apple still to come.

It’s going to be interesting to see just how the Standalone market develops. Not only do we see Vive Focus and Pico supporting Vive Wave but we also have Google Daydream there and Sony and Apple still to come.
I agree it will be interesting. You can't bring yourself to mention oculus go or santa Cruz tho ....... You make me laugh Atmos. Mind you at least the apple headset will be open to all hmds and not locked into their own store front :)

Oculus are an irrelevance to me.

If I was being really silly I’d say something like Ocwholus. Lol

Buggering flip, Crysis was released SO long ago now I've been thinking about it. Any mention of the game makes me feel old lmfao :D

I never thought much of the game once I got it tbh, never lived up to the hype but it WAS great in the eye candy department.

I've never thought much of Crytek as developers until I bought and played The Climb and Robinson The Journey. Those are the best two games they've ever done imo.

The CryEngine looks amazing though, shame it's such a pain in the arse to work with. I thought about using it for my game but Unreal is so much easier to work with.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there!

I am told crysis 3 is worth a look. i have had it installed for years but after forcing myself to finish the dullard that was crysis 2 i lost interest. crysis 1 was certainly not inspired but it was a decent enough title imo

and to answer the question...... i doubt it!.. tho they did make a port of it which ran on the xbox 360 (using the same version of the engine crysis 2 ran on) so i guess its possible.

But can it run Crysis?
It probably can't even run a bath.

Am I the only person who is totally unenthusiastic when it comes to mobile headsets? Maybe I need to try a Focus or the Santa Cruz (whenever that drops), but most still seem like hardtop versions of Google cardboard to me.

For gaming I am not enthusiastic for me... But I do think it could be a shot in the arm for vr as a whole. Not everyone is obsessed with shiny visuals like I/we are.

For mobile media consumption however ... If I travelled a lot I would definitely get one. I don't however so again it is more geeky curiosity for me

Yup, I have no interest in standalone headsets either, but like Mike above says it's an important step in mainstream VR adoption. Once standalone headsets like the Go and Vive (or more likely later versions of them) get to be around $100 to buy we'll see a headset in virtually (lol) every home the same way we do now with DVD and Blu-Ray players.

No doubt eventually mobiles headsets will be able to do what tethered headsets on a mega spec pc can, but just not yet.
Good example look at the power of mobile phones ten years ago.

@huxley I agree but then pc specs are evolving too.. 5 years from now if mobile hmds are kicking out lone echo quality of VR..... What will that mean a high end pc with rift CV3 or vive 3 or pimax 32k (assuming they keep with their maths logic) will be kicking out?

@huxley I agree but then pc specs are evolving too.. 5 years from now if mobile hmds are kicking out lone echo quality of VR..... What will that mean a high end pc with rift CV3 or vive 3 or pimax 32k (assuming they keep with their maths logic) will be kicking out?

I reckon we'll be looking at 8K headsets at least by then with all players having nailed foveated rendering and variable focus. I'm not sure we'll see 16K by then though.

I can't remember what Abrash predicted a couple of years ago now though.

I know I was just trying to tease pimaxs naming convention ;)
To be honest twin 8k screens in vr would be something truly special.... But I am not even sure we will get that for generation 3 (I can hope however)

I know I was just trying to tease pimaxs naming convention ;)
To be honest twin 8k screens in vr would be something truly special.... But I am not even sure we will get that for generation 3 (I can hope however)

I'm confident that Oculus will bring us 4K displays next year which is four times the resolution of the Rift and if they can do that then I wouldn't bet against them doing the same thing for generation three.

Oculus are so far ahead of everyone else when it comes to both time and money that it's pretty ridiculous. That's why I'm overly concerned about the survival of HTC next year. If they go bust then Oculus will effectively only have Pimax as competition with regards to high-end PC VR. And we need competition to drive things forward in this industry.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom